World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am rather new to beachcasting,and i have never tryed to cast with the reel in down possition,i grew up with multipliers,so it feels very strange and clumsy to mount the reel downward and use lefthand instead of right.
so i am looking for a couple of advises before i try it out,But why put it down the butt,when it looks wrong and feels uncomftable,
is there difference in casting style, and will it gain my distances
i use a 14,6 rod,4-5oz,abu ct, OTG cast,
Chears niels

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hi, i recently changed to the low Butt position. This was forced due to pains in my right hand after too much boat fishing(an age thing i guess)
I actually found that the rod felt better balanced with the extra weight lower down & felt i could put more effort into the cast.I struggled at first to stop the spool slipping with my left thumb.Fitted a rubber strip below the reel seat to lay over the spool when casting which improved it but as i am getting more used to it i am finding i dont need it with anything but 7 or 8oz leads. I will persevere with it but when my right hand is ok i will try again in the high position to see which i like best.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Most longer rods will feel better balanced in the low position, you wont gain distance just by moving it down but with a little advice the distances will creep up again and a good chance go beyond what you have been doing.
I tried it yaers ago for one sesh on two rods and stuck at it for the whole day(due to having a weak right thumb and couldnt hold the multiplier tight enough) by the end of the day I new I wasnt moving it back up.
Stick with it you may surprise yourself how good it feels after a wee while.

jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for shearing your experiences,just another thing i am not yet a stedy caster,will the reel down help with the timing,i am used to powercast with fast 10-11 foot spinning rods,so i have a tendency to attack,punch and pull the rod a bit to early
think i will try it out,there must be a reason why mostly every one recommend it
chears

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
what you will find niels is that the cast is alot slower when reel down. the build up of power is more progressive, not advised to hit it hard, better to build up the power. this is made easier by the whole process being slower, and also being able to have a slightly longer drop when the reel is down. I'm willing to bet your distance will improve once you get used to it, as you will be able to grip the whole of the butt, rather than just with your fingers, meaning that the generally more powerfull right hand can apply the power in full, rather than having to control the reel.
Hope this helps :thumbs:

·
Registered
453 Posts
earlier this year i had an op for tennis elbow in my right arm which didn't work so i diversified and taught myself to left hand cast and control the reel with the right hand still with the reel seat down with a bit of practise and help from my club members i can now cast nearly 1/3rd further left handed than right also a good tip is i do otg casting as well instead of watching your reel pick a fixed spot in the sky i.e a bit of cloud etc keep your eyes fixed on that spot cast your bait out and as it comes over the top you will see it then control the reel when it hits the water a steady smooth cast is what you are looking for and i now stick by this method which helps me a great deal only 2 nestings in 6 months and that was down to my own stupid fault of not doing what i normally do

·
Registered
37 Posts
Casting with the reel down does take a bit of getting used to.
It does improve casting without doubt, ask yourself why do all the tournament guys do it.

The draw back is that it is hard to wind in with large fish, you can then either get a reducer or a movable reel seat of some sort.

I cast with the reel down for a few reasons, yes it does seem that the cast is a bit slower,. The main reason though is my right hand just has to hold the rod and apply all the power rather than trying to control the reel as well.(already mentioned)
When you punch the rod out at the end the power increase is way more than holding the reel at the same time.
If you are having trouble holding the reel with your left thumb you can do one of two things as mentioned a bit of rubber to help grip, or a different rod with a slimmer blank.

Its like anything, practice. Once you've got it you won't go back.

But in fishing terms, is it really important to be the furthest caster, or just the one casting in the correect spot. Its very rare that you would need the extra distance gained from changing one for the other.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
But in fishing terms, is it really important to be the furthest caster, or just the one casting in the correect spot. Its very rare that you would need the extra distance gained from changing one for the other.
there are times when yes it is important to be able to get that bit extra distance but that aint ALL the time,i have always casted reel high but over last few months iv changed to reel position to low and as its been said yes it does make the cast slower which is fine for me as my distances are creeping up but thats also with some helpfull pointers and tuition,changing the reel position was a good move for me but i know ppl who cast reel high and can get 230+

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
1 to 2 hours practice and you'll be back to where you were reel up.

It's no magic panacea to all your casting troubles though and imo reel up is more comfortable to fish with, especially when you are fishing big baits over the rough stuff.

Still its nice having it in your armoury so to speak and it does get you thinking more about what is going on when casting.

Oh best advice is start gently, and build back up. The thumb and release will take care of itself - which for me is what felt the most odd at first.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Get out and practice with the reel down.
Take things easy at the start just try and cast smooth NOT hard then slowly increase the effort and everything I'm sure will fall into place and the reel will stay low down.

Jim:clap3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts