World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a new reel for new bass rod, 11'6 I started looking at the surfmaster 750 but my m8 reckoned it might be too big, would this be the case?

I am looking at the penn captiva cv6000 or something around that size....could someone sugest another reel of simillar size?

Price isn't much of an issue tbh

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Shimano 6000 GTE-B baitrunner, i have the 6000 GTE which is good. A Daiwa 7HT or an Abu 6500 CT mag will do the job very nicely aswell though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, I should have put that I was after a fixed spool for this rod.

I looked at the shimano bait runner bass-ic-instinct..looks like a nice reel.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You will get a second hand Shimano 6010 or a 6000GTE for around £30 on ebay if you look. It is worth getting two spools for it though as i use mine with either 30lb Berkley Whiplash or 12lb Ultima Black Ice. I think that you can get a new Shimano 6000 or 5000GTE-B for around £65 though. Others to look at are the Okuma Interceptor IBF50 and the Daiwa Regal X 4050 BRT which both retail for around £30 brand new.

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
once you try a shimano, very little comes close ;)

and you can get some s/h steals off the course boys on flea-bay...
check out the price this went for 260112893087 loaded with line and braid.

(missed it...:schmoll:)

al.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There is a daiwa baitrunner that comes with 2 spare spools. You would want the larger one of the 2 models. It has rear drag and one touch spools. Unusually it's made in korea. Nothing fancy but it's strong and well put together.

I'm not to impressed by the shimano's even the us models which are the best they make.

John

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I am looking at the penn captiva cv6000 or something around that size....could someone sugest another reel of simillar size?
Don't get me wrong, the captiva is a good reel but honestly...its not a patch on the equivalent shimano reel. At xmas I gave away my 15yr old baitrunner (bought for £30 2nd hand 4 years before) and replaced it with a cv5000 (£45 or thereabouts). Instantly regretted my decision and ended up trading the penn for my old shimano back :uhuh: £45 down the sh***er! :yucky:

My advice would be to go for a baitrunner on whatever reel you choose, you never realise how usefull a baitrunner is until you don't have it :fish:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
you live nlearn lewis m8
got a 6000re new from local tackle shop fo pence under £60 well christened now and cast like a dream on my 11'9"BZE
money well well spent
two spare spools on way from flea bay sorted in 8000 size

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I use the 8000 sized spools on my Shimano 6000GTE. If you buy one of a carp or pike angler it will be in good condition aswell as it wont have seen any saltwater usage. I have used mine in the sea for three years now though ad the only sign of corrosion are some small marks on the baitrunner switch and on the reel handle. It is still as smotth as they day i got it and has stood up to much hammer, even though i used to abuse it fishing for maceky six at a time and leave it on the boat or in the shed without washing it through the summer months.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of options to pick from there. I'm just off to check em all out.

I am getting a new one from the states. It'll hopefully be about 1/2 of what I pay over here anyways.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have shimano, great reels had two for more than 10yrs, no probs but have a look at okuma. Bought one last week no time to use it yet but looks and feels nice. AT £29.99 can't go wrong. Good luck PS 5YR WARRANTY

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i got a shimano baitrunner 5000 gte/b, an 11'9" greys bze and one of those salt tripods for £182... not bad going i thought especially as they also let me spread it over 6 months with post dated cheques!!! oh and it casts like a dream

·
Registered
597 Posts
id go for the Shimano GTE but the 8000 or the 10000 as i think the 600 is a bit small
i would go for the 6000 if your going to get a shimano the 8000 and 1000 are far to big, i have a 5000gte and works perfectly, only disadavantage on the baitrunners is the line lay isnt top notch, doesnt seem to cause any probs though. would have got a 6000 if the local shop had one in stock, they only had 5000's and 8000's imo 8000 is too chunky for a bass rod

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
As i said before you can use an 8000 sized spool on the 6000, i know as i have spools for a Shimano 8000GTE on my older 6000GTE. I find that the wider spool diametre helps increase the retrieve which is important for pollack fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts