World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,being fairly new to sea angling i am not convinced the reel line
i have chosen to start with is not working out.
I,m using Ultima Red Ice 15lb on fixed spool reels with a shock plus my rig.
after 6 months of use i notice the line has lost its "sheen" and when pulling for breaks even with a lower b/s snood the main line always parts first.
I have recently read about Sakuma lines being a good alternative,but have also read Ultima "Power plus" being bigged up by some of our so called better
sea anglers........
I know this this an age old Question asked by every new comer...
So.....gimme your views on your fav reel lines,so i can go and spend me hard earned on the right one.
I wanna use it on open sand/shingle beaches mostly any ideas...???

thanks Gaz :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi mate. welcome to the forum

I would say that your problems could well stem from the fact that your line is 6 months old.
I fish clean sand beaches mostly and i change my line every couple of weeks. if you buy in bulk its not too costly.
There have been many debates about which line is best but you shouldnt be going to far wrong with red ice.
I use penn super surf. not the most hard wearing line but it does the job for me

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The line should be OK after 6 months unless it's sufferered abrasion. Where did you get it from or where do you store your reel? Line will be damaged if it's stored in sunlight over a period of time.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The line should be OK after 6 months unless it's sufferered abrasion. Where did you get it from or where do you store your reel? Line will be damaged if it's stored in sunlight over a period of time.
Im not saying your wrong but how can a line thats 6 months old possibly of not suffered abrasion? if its been pulled through and over sand then its going to have suffered abrasion! Of course if its been sat in the garage for 6 months then it might to be!

T

·
0 Posts
I would change my line every few sessions to make sure I didn't have a nick in it r possible problem.
UV light will also knacker it over a few months (6 is plenty), making it brittle and weak.
A lot of people don't realise too, but a heavily loaded line will not recover it's normal strength etc after use (best example is Big Game fishing. Hook two or three large Marlin and swap all your line - put the analogy onto pull for a breakl two or three times or haul in lots of weed two or three times etc).

·
Banned
56 Posts
I fish the rivers mainly and use daiwa tournoment

fishing sandy beaches will always cause abrasion on the line so i would buy a good qua;ity but cheap line and re-spool every month or so

you can always turn the line around on the spool so you have the old line going back onto the spool first

something like Grauvell Bionix 5000yd spools

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Nylon.html

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I would change my line every few sessions to make sure I didn't have a nick in it r possible problem.
UV light will also knacker it over a few months (6 is plenty), making it brittle and weak.
QUOTE]

This doesn't apply to premium lines like Stren from DuPont (they invented NYLON by the way), as they have built-in UV filters. I have had Stren Gold 14lb on one reel for 7 years with no deterioration with normal shore fishing, from both sandy beaches and from the South Devon rock marks. My advice is to use the cheaper monofils while still learning the basics and improving how you fish, when totally confident, then switch to a premium monofil. Can you feel a difference? Only one way to find out...

philtherod

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi,being fairly new to sea angling i am not convinced the reel line
i have chosen to start with is not working out.
I,m using Ultima Red Ice 15lb on fixed spool reels with a shock plus my rig.
after 6 months of use i notice the line has lost its "sheen" and when pulling for breaks even with a lower b/s snood the main line always parts first.
I have recently read about Sakuma lines being a good alternative,but have also read Ultima "Power plus" being bigged up by some of our so called better
sea anglers........
I know this this an age old Question asked by every new comer...
So.....gimme your views on your fav reel lines,so i can go and spend me hard earned on the right one.
I wanna use it on open sand/shingle beaches mostly any ideas...???

thanks Gaz :)
Favourite reel lines?

You will get quite a few differing opinions on that one Skatenchips. :giveup:
I like................................................:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Interesting thread.
I use Ultima distance. Yellow coloured so I can see it better at night. I use 18lb for the beaches and semi rough.....and 30lb stright through when rough grounding.

Interestingly I change my line every 3-6 months as a precaution.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being a long time Freshy and using Maxima Chameleon...ive pulled boats up the
Thames b4 its parted,,,,,,and dragged it over weir sills and snaggy bottoms.
However......moving to sea angling hasnt been as smooooth transition as
i woulda liked as far as reel lines go.....yes ive pulled 4 breaks....dragged in huge clumps of wead.....lured over shingle banks...but all the time after use
checked it 4 nicks and kept my gear in the cupboard.
It just doesnt seem as resilient as the old maxima ive used 4 years.....
maybe im asking to much of it and as you say......changing more often
may be the solution. ive just reached the last of the jumbo spool
of red ice......which was my reason 4 askin about anything new or more abrasive resistant that may have been a better option....
I will willingly try your suggested lines as i firmly believe in giving way to
experience as far as sea mono goes..!!!!!
thanks
Gaz

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
first off a line isnt pulled over the sand bed the weights on the bottom so it doesnt recieve that much dammage (unless yer weights buried itself and yer dredging lol)imho so 6months or 6 years if it hasnt been over the rocks or left wet in sunlight for hours on end(the suns rays are magnified through droplets of water) it will last ok ,
im thinking its been roughed over rocks or its the guide roller on the reel thats the problem ceramic guides are better than alloy ones but both are ok if not abused
for a tough line that is resistant to abrasion it would be hard to beat stren original ,i just re spooled with that myself for the oncomming summer abuse and neglect ,its not foolproof nothing is but imho its as good as you,l get .

i lost a spool of red ice to rocks the other night and believe me it suffered up until then the line has been on my reel for 5months and was showing no signs of wear now thats a long way past the two week lifespan mentioned here
im hoping this re spool will see me well into summer
check your guide and what sort of ground your fishing over mate theres the problem right there i think

·
Banned
820 Posts
first off a line isnt pulled over the sand bed the weights on the bottom so it doesnt recieve that much dammage (unless yer weights buried itself and yer dredging lol)imho so 6months or 6 years if it hasnt been over the rocks or left wet in sunlight for hours on end(the suns rays are magnified through droplets of water) it will last ok ,
im thinking its been roughed over rocks or its the guide roller on the reel thats the problem ceramic guides are better than alloy ones but both are ok if not abused
for a tough line that is resistant to abrasion it would be hard to beat stren original ,i just re spooled with that myself for the oncomming summer abuse and neglect ,its not foolproof nothing is but imho its as good as you,l get .

i lost a spool of red ice to rocks the other night and believe me it suffered up until then the line has been on my reel for 5months and was showing no signs of wear now thats a long way past the two week lifespan mentioned here
im hoping this re spool will see me well into summer
check your guide and what sort of ground your fishing over mate theres the problem right there i think
Sorry can't agree with you there lobbit. 100 plus yards cast (or less) the monofilament line will sag and touch bottom no matter how tight you reel in to a grip lead. Stretch, tidal pull and the weight of the line will ultimately take over stretch it and it will drop to the bottom again.
Maybe just maybe at that distance if your casting pont is high above the water?
But from a beach it will be on the bottom for at least the last 30yds.
Skatenchips post is asking about line for open beaches. So the high vantage/casting point part doesn't apply.

Go and put out 100yds in a field pull it tight againt the lead dug in the ground and see for yourself. Even out of water it will stretch and sag down to the ground.

Try striking in a field at that distance. Get someone to hold the lead. You would be hard pushed to put a 4/0 hook into a potato the pull is so minimal because of the stretch in the monofilament line.

Braid on the other hand, with it's very low stretch is a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I'd just like to ask when you'r pulling for a break how do you know that it's the snood that's snagged? I'm only asking because if it's the lead that's snagged, and I suspect that it is, then the main line will snap.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
For rough ground has to be Diawa Sensor mate, thick but cheap and very abrasion resistant. The marks i fish it on dont need a big cast anyway. I still use red ice on some reels, but have recently made the switch to greylon, its good value and seems to be good allround. At £10 for 1000metres its quite good value aswell. That said i have heard good things about the Mustad Ayaka lines too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks once again.

Didn't realise the U.V. rays could damage fishing line, I'll move my reels from the windowsill (full sun) in my shed. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i normally put 3 half hitches in my rig body between the lead and my bait clip ....if the rig comes back minus the lead...ok.....if the rig comes back....minus the hook snood....ok but i dont /or cant cast particularly far at present anyway
so i have to assume its the mainline "giving out" or my lead knot which is a
albright knot.
Gaz :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
If its not too much of a stupid question/statement - doesn't saltwater weaken line?

I mean I know nylon line will wont be affected over a few times fishing but over 6 months?

Salt corrodes almost everything else so how about line.

I say this because I found a spool and the line just came apart like cotton. I assumed it must have been saltwater causing this.

So after 6 months of the line being in the sea would it not be severely weaker

Paulie

·
Banned
820 Posts
If its not too much of a stupid question/statement - doesn't saltwater weaken line?

I mean I know nylon line will wont be affected over a few times fishing but over 6 months?

Salt corrodes almost everything else so how about line.

I say this because I found a spool and the line just came apart like cotton. I assumed it must have been saltwater causing this.

So after 6 months of the line being in the sea would it not be severely weaker

Paulie
UV rays are the culprit. Nylon products don't corrode as such like metal does in saltwater. Nylon and lot of plastics do break down from exposure to the suns rays though over time. Just like our skin.
Some monos are treated against UV damage either a special coating or added chemicals during manufacture.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts