World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to calculate the amont of line I have loaded on a reel. I am trying to load 300 metres of braid on my Shimano Charter Special 2000LD from a spool containing 1000 metres. Is there a magic formula or is it just an educated guess plus experience.

I thought of counting how many handle turns it would take to load 10 metres and then go from there, but as the circumference of the spool will increase as it is filled, I don't think this would work. Am I missing something obvious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

PS Congratulatuions all you Chelsea supporters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar dilemna with packing out a spool before putting braid on a fixed spool.

What I did was multiplied the known capacity of the spool ie 300 meters of 0.35 = 105, 300 meters of 0.15 (braid) = 45. Divide 45 by 105=0.4 to find the proportion of braid on a full spool. Measured the depth of the spool and multiply by 0.4 so I knew roughly what packing to put on it before the braid.

It worked out close enough despite my reservations of varying diameter as the spool increased in volume.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
As a discalculic (same as dyslexia but with numbers rather than words) I find your answer and calculations amazing, and awe inspiring. I'm sure it works!1

However when I was confronted by the same problem I had to resort to a practical solution. I had an idea of how much line I could cast because the reel had been loaded with 0.35 mono. (it seemed to be roughly half the spool) So I loaded some mono as backing up to the approximate level, tied the appropriate knot and then proceeded to fill with braid. It sort of worked as I have not been able to cast as far as the backing, yet! However, as I fish in pretty rough places (should that be ugly rough??) i have lost a few yards. I also moved my reel down the butt and practiced a bit (I ran out of bait and it was too early to go home!) so I've started getting about 20yds further. So I unwound the lot carefully onto the floor around the room ( the wife was out!), removed the backing, and put the old line back on tieing the 'worn' part on first, so reversing the used portion (none of it was abraded as I'd checked the first 20yds) Then I attached the 'new stuff with an appropriate knot and filled the reel to the required 2mm of the top of the spool. It was a little temermental for the first few casts but bedded down well. I shall be very pleased indeed if I see the joining knot after I have cast (approx. 220 yds - well I can dream!) or if a fish strips that amount (you'll hear my kness knocking!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts