World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am trying to teach myself to use the reel low down everything is fine until the line gets wet and then for
some reason I can't stop the spool slipping when I cast,probably got a weak left hand any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

John

G

·
i use cricket bat handle rubber, but same idea... I find it, personally, better than inner-tube. More flex to it and one side is dimpled which "in my opinion" gives better grip when wet,.. You can get 6-8 out of a bat rubber.
There are also ready made ones. Think Veals sell them?

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Two alternative suggestions (and I am betting good money one of which is where you problem lies)
- your timing is slightly out/early/erratic
- you are using a level wind reel.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Photo0150.jpg

This is what I use John, cricket bat grip cut up and taped to the rod, helps grip reel even when wet

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Two alternative suggestions (and I am betting good money one of which is where you problem lies)
- your timing is slightly out/early/erratic
- you are using a level wind reel.
agree with lipslicker could be a casting issue, try also slowing the cast down and put the power in as late as you can almost when its to late!
Yep, spool slip is usually the result of too much power too soon. Casting reel down means a slower cast, let the rod do the work then [email protected] it at the end

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all,i will try all of them, I think you are probably right about the timing etc I can't believe just how different it is compared to casting with reel up but will stick at it.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Only if there is a 'Y' in the day....

PTR

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Thanks all,i will try all of them, I think you are probably right about the timing etc I can't believe just how different it is compared to casting with reel up but will stick at it.

Cheers

John
Definitely stick with it.
Concentrate on casting 75 yards with the right style, and I almost guarantee you will cast double that first time.
(Not trying for distance initially helps you slow it down. And, the added time allows you to concentrate on the style, so rod and sinker arc are doing the work)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts