World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like most of us i started my casting with the reel in the conventional position,about 28-30"up.several years ago i had a dabble with a low clipped reel and after a bit of to and fro-ing settled on the low position and that's where it has stayed.today i felt like a bit of a change and put the reel in the high position and after a few tentative swings gave it a few belts.i seem to remember liking my punching hand holding the reel,well i did;a lot and it's got me thinking.low reel pros. good contact on rod with top hand,good control on reel with lower hand.high reel pros. lower hand lighter and easier to extend.top hand full of reel for a good upwards punch.the only problem with the higher position is my tendency to let the reel slip forward from my grip on release.however the rod i was using is 12'8" and quite manageable,not so sure about some of the longer rods used more frequently today. i will be giving it a go with a 13' quattra next trip;just out of interest.

·
Registered
898 Posts
like most of us i started my casting with the reel in the conventional position,about 28-30"up.several years ago i had a dabble with a low clipped reel and after a bit of to and fro-ing settled on the low position and that's where it has stayed.today i felt like a bit of a change and put the reel in the high position and after a few tentative swings gave it a few belts.i seem to remember liking my punching hand holding the reel,well i did;a lot and it's got me thinking.low reel pros. good contact on rod with top hand,good control on reel with lower hand.high reel pros. lower hand lighter and easier to extend.top hand full of reel for a good upwards punch.the only problem with the higher position is my tendency to let the reel slip forward from my grip on release.however the rod i was using is 12'8" and quite manageable,not so sure about some of the longer rods used more frequently today. i will be giving it a go with a 13' quattra next trip;just out of interest.
People are like sheep. They all run after the flock. " Put your reel down".. why? .. ' cos everyone else does'.. Why? .. ' cos it's a slower cast' .. " No it's not"... " cos it goes farther" .. " No it doesnt".. "cos it uses more of the rod".. " what IQ do you have??Seriously??".. ' cos that's what everyone else, pundits, magazines , experts in magazines etc say""... Baaaaahhh... Baaaahhhhh!!!!...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you've got a point coach,guess we all follow the leader a bit.fact is i still reckon my longest cast were made a long time ago with a high positioned reel and this return has opened my eyes.thanks goes to the chap fishing next to me last week,great pendulums,reel up!.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

to be honest, i ask myself who sound like the "experts" here, but anyway ...

... as a continental who has used fixed spool reels for almost 30 years, it was logical to put the reel on the high position when i started with multipliers. I used it like that for a while and multipliers never felt good untill i had the guts to switch the reel down the butt : everything became natural, better hands position, i had a much better grip on the spool, the rod felt much more balanced, casting felt much easier ... i never looked back!
No sheep here, no magazine experts, no follow the leader, no nothing : just something that felt good straight away for me ... guess what's good for one isn't for someone else! ;)

Gert

·
Registered
720 Posts
I prefer reel up if not backcasting but fond it harder finding rough ground rods which are12-13 foot long and idealy equal ssection as not a fan of 8foot tips incidentaly I cast just as far up or down once im reacquainted

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have to say that reel low was a revelation to me. Seemed to soften up the rod and make things feel better for me. As coach knows I'm a beginner or should I say a relearner and in no way am I a competitive surf caster, but I've been fishing for 40 years - god that makes me feel proper old!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I remember the days of reel up, 3ft dural butts and 10ft northwestern blanks (look at me I've got a 13ft one piece rod) days. You couldnt bend the dural butt! So we all shortened the hand grip to get a better cast.

For me going down the butt with a reel and using my left hand was ailen. It all felt wrong and took time to learn how to do it. (All of about 5 minutes.) So I beach cast down but uptide case Up! Swap between the two without any worry or thought.

But hand position seems very interesting. My reel up position is shorter than my reel down position. I measure it by sticking the end of the butting in my arm pit and when my hand grips the rod is where my reel seat goes. On my down position the reel is about 9 inches further from my top hand. (On my older rods it was about a further 15 inches away.)

Reactions: winkler

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for all your comments,not a case of what is right or wrong and in my case i originally switched to the low position in the search for better distance and more control plus just to try something different.no doubt my technique was what really needed looking at but you try these things and maybe persevere without looking back.better grip on the spool was a bonus for me when switching to a low position especially on thicker butts.maybe switching once in a while will give benefits in the long run.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
People are like sheep. They all run after the flock. " Put your reel down".. why? .. ' cos everyone else does'.. Why? .. ' cos it's a slower cast' .. " No it's not"... " cos it goes farther" .. " No it doesnt".. "cos it uses more of the rod".. " what IQ do you have??Seriously??".. ' cos that's what everyone else, pundits, magazines , experts in magazines etc say""... Baaaaahhh... Baaaahhhhh!!!!...
COACH, ive got to have the reel low down because I backcast. I like your post Coach.

·
Registered
898 Posts
COACH, ive got to have the reel low down because I backcast. I like your post Coach.
It's more tongue in cheek than anything mate:p
I cast and fish reel down myself at times. I just get the hump sometimes when anglers/casters endlessly repeat stuff as if were fact rather than opinion. Ill informed opinion too at times.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just out of interest Jock (if i may call you that) when did you start backcasting and why ?? Why not pendulum?? When I started there was a caster in humberside- Johnny Byrne??? Apologies if ive spelt that wrong.. backcaster who was competing at the UK and doing well!
But everyone wanted to swing it- like Beckham... me included.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Very Interested in the 13' Quattra!! I have the the 12'10" Brown Quattra Sport. Is yours the black 8' tip, 5' butt version??

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Just out of interest Jock (if i may call you that) when did you start backcasting and why ?? Why not pendulum?? When I started there was a caster in humberside- Johnny Byrne??? Apologies if ive spelt that wrong.. backcaster who was competing at the UK and doing well!
But everyone wanted to swing it- like Beckham... me included.
Well coach you've hit on some old times and memories. Did pendulum cast for a few years , some times got it right and other times crap. One of the main reasons and reference your post I changed was one my back , disc trouble and two was fishing on the Holderness coast one day and who was there backcasting, john byrne. Watched him cast and I thought , hmmm that's gone a good way, I think ill have a go at that. That was 1986 I believe. So the rod I had was a conoflex DC6 13FT , I GOT 1FT 6INS of aluminium and fixed it on the butt and off I went to give it a backcast . By that time john and finished tournament casting and he gave me is golf shoes with spikes in . Been backcasting ever since . Thanks for the memories Coach. PS golf shoes was for not slipping on field when it was wet.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well coach you've hit on some old times and memories. Did pendulum cast for a few years , some times got it right and other times crap. One of the main reasons and reference your post I changed was one my back , disc trouble and two was fishing on the Holderness coast one day and who was there backcasting, john byrne. Watched him cast and I thought , hmmm that's gone a good way, I think ill have a go at that. That was 1986 I believe. So the rod I had was a conoflex DC6 13FT , I GOT 1FT 6INS of aluminium and fixed it on the butt and off I went to give it a backcast . By that time john and finished tournament casting and he gave me is golf shoes with spikes in . Been backcasting ever since . Thanks for the memories Coach. PS golf shoes was for not slipping on field when it was wet.
Small world really, ain't It??:):):)
Apologies saltzworth for temporarily highjacking your thread.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I tried low for a couple of years, after all, that's what the 'experts' did in my neck of the woods. Never felt right to me though and changed back when introduced to mangles and braid. Now back to traditional gear with a multiplier, feels great cast high and it's amazing just how many do cast this way across Europe.

No right or wrong IMO, just what suits the individual. Not sure if this link will work, but would love to see somebody brave enough to tell this fella the reel should be low... Lol

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
For me reel down as it was more consistent for fishing .reel up has many advantages one been it keeps your reel from crap off the beach and also less chance of it getting damaged whilst rock fishing.reel up on modern longer rods may be easier these days due to modern materials making rods lighter .I was intending this morn to try TRC with f/spool reel up as chukka does who comes on here and by all accounts what I hear from anglers were I am from he does realy well,but back problems stopped me getting out again.jocklad you will have to come up my way again and show me this bsckcast as when I try it it goes further along beach than out to sea.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
For me reel down as it was more consistent for fishing .reel up has many advantages one been it keeps your reel from crap off the beach and also less chance of it getting damaged whilst rock fishing.reel up on modern longer rods may be easier these days due to modern materials making rods lighter .I was intending this morn to try TRC with f/spool reel up as chukka does who comes on here and by all accounts what I hear from anglers were I am from he does realy well,but back problems stopped me getting out again.jocklad you will have to come up my way again and show me this bsckcast as when I try it it goes further along beach than out to sea.
No problem john, never seen you back cast but I suspect with what you say about going along the beach instead of out to sea is your trying to cast quite flat. In other words coming all the way round. To change drop into the squat then come up over your shoulder. Cant go any where but out to sea. So squat down then straight up . Let me know how you get on. PS maybe I should buy another rod of you , give me a excuse to come up there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.