World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, was just wondering, I was going to put enough backing mono on to cover base, then put my 150 yards of braid on. I know it will not fill my spool up but would that be a problem.
I know you can put onto a spare spool and do it that way, but didn't know if it would effect anything by leaving the spool a touch under filled?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It'll cost you some casting distance

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Depends on the type of reel and how underfilled the spool is mate.
A multiplier spool doesnt spin as fast when underfilled and a fixed spool generates a lot more friction on the lip of the spool, both will reduce distance.
I would try to build the spool with mono or even electrical tape as much as possible so the line/braid you are actually casting is as near the top of the spool as you can get, 1-3mm is probably about right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I buy bulk spools of cheap and nasty 10lb mono on Fleabay and use this to fill the spools to the required level and then add the braid. As has been said, the spare spool trick is the way to go if possible - tie your braid onto the spool and then top up with mono to the required depth and reverse it. It does require a spare reel but gives the perfect result. Get that braid on tight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts