World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

my mates grandfather passed away recently and ive had his multiplier reel given to me by my mate. I believe its an abu 6500 but i aint an expert on multiplier reels so forgive my language. the reel just doesnt feel right, the action is all stiff, the star drag doesnt and 'braking system' doesnt work either. it is scratched and slightly dented so its had a good life im just wondering is it worth getting it fixed? if so where to in swansea?

many thanks

blankexpert

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
hi all

my mates grandfather passed away recently and ive had his multiplier reel given to me by my mate. I believe its an abu 6500 but i aint an expert on multiplier reels so forgive my language. the reel just doesnt feel right, the action is all stiff, the star drag doesnt and 'braking system' doesnt work either. it is scratched and slightly dented so its had a good life im just wondering is it worth getting it fixed? if so where to in swansea?

many thanks

blankexpert
If you can manage to get to Keens in Aberkenfig..Swansea side of Bridgend...ask for Warren.

He'll tell you if its worth spending the money on it or not.

Just my opinion but if its an original 6500 and its been left to you then I'd be inclined to spend the dough and enjoy it...I'm sure your mates grandfather would have rather see it put to use.

Matt

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Try swansea angling centre(rodgers) they do multi's

·
Registered
165 Posts
hi mate, well worth keeping, probably no of the best multi's ever made. is it a 6500c or a 6500 black, silver or red? i use a vintage 6500c for all my clean beach fishing. i could repair it but i live a long way from you. if you need any info give us a pm
ps spare are very hard to get but you can still find some in the U.S.A

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had me running around like a nutter then mate trying to find the USB cable for my phone :laugh: i dont know if you can see because of poor quality but the last pic i can see scratches on the little silver piece of metal as if its been attacked by a pair of pliers. could that be the reason why that wont turn?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
hi, not seen many in that colour before, good news it is a modern 6500 so repairing it would be quite easy. you say the star drag is stiff, looks like the thread has stripped, difficult to tell by photos. looks well worth keeping. i could service it . if you were interested you could pm me. :victory:

·
Registered
14,766 Posts
You could try either Mainwarings or Country stores they both have a reel repair man .
I sent a few ABU reels away to a fella whose details I got off this forum but for the life of me I can't remember who it was ? Did a very nice job. I can't say I have ever seen a camo. 6500 before , might have come from America.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts