World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Treated myself to a new Shimano Charter Special TR2000 this year, and I've used it now for several months, probably around 12+ trips or thereabouts.

It's largely constructed of a black resin material that doesn't feel cold to the hands - a bonus on a cold day - but I wonder how durable it'll be in the long run?

I use it for general bottom fishing on the drift, and for pirking/rubber eel work as well. It's loaded with 100lb braid (I don't like losing line!) which cuts losses to a minimum on the very rough ground we tend to fish.

The lever drag system takes a bit of getting used to initially, but once that period passed it's one I'd not like to do without now. The reel's internals seem to me to be well constructed, and the level wind means I don't have to keep spooling line to and fro on retrieves - something I've never liked about reels lacking this feature. Plenty of other fishers do fine without a level wind I know, but - I like them! This one seems to do its job quietly and efficiently.

The drag is very smooth and progressive - not something I've found on many star drag reels so far.

I've used this reel for a bit of boatcasting off and on, and have found it to allow easy casts of 40-50 yards without trying too hard. I use a cheap carbon boatcaster of around 9.5 feet for this, (does the job just as well as the expensive Daiwa version I lost in ten fathoms just off the May Island in the summer)

Overall I'd buy this reel again or would recommend it to a pal without any reservation. I bought it from Summerlands of Westward Ho, whose mail order service/prices I think are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ian,

Have you actually stripped the reel down to look at the internals? I service my own reels and whilst I have found the Abu reels easy to do I have found the Shimano reels a bit awkward. Having said that I am thinking about purchasing a Charter Special.

Your comments are grately appreciated, thank you.

Drew

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
hi ian and drew,

i own a charter tr2000 have had mine for 6 years and think there great.
normally send mine to shimano for servicing but have just got oils/lube to do my own.

i have used mine for inshore fishing,gilling and light congering and reel copes easily.only use it on a 20/30 rod with braid so never using more than 1lb of lead.
clutch is good and reel is smooth.overall highly recommended

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Been using the LD models for 10 years or more, fantastic reels. The only thing I have had corroded was a handle. The price has come down since I bought mine as well. I have used mine for all sorts of fishing off the boat, had a 70lb tope on it in 2003. Drag is superb, similar to the new Penn 975 LD

&

·
0 Posts
This was the first lever drag reel i purchased and i have to say i'm not disappointed. I usually couple it with a 20/30 class rod and 28lb braid and use it for heavier reef and wreck work.

I always set the drag before a trip pulling against a set of scales to 1/3 breaking strain i.e 28lb braid= 9lb drag setting , the beauty of this reel is that the lever drag gives you a visable indication of extra drag you can add upto 70%. i found with star drag systems it's more guess work particularly once the fish is landed and your trying to return back to an original setting if extra resitance is needed to get you out of trouble

The drag is smooth, smooth, smooth but they do need looking after. A good spray of fresh water gets the salt removed and always store in free spool and alert button on to remove pressure on the components.

Shimano say it has a drag lifetime of 100 miles which is alot of fish!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lads,

Many thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated. I have a TLD 20 that I use for Congering, I must admit that it copes better than my Abu 7500, hence the reason for going for the Charter Special. However as I have said I can strip, clean, and dry the Abu in an hour, whereas the TLD is a bitch.

I am looking for advice on stripping the Shimano please.

Cheers

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Drew,

Unfortunately i can't help with attempting self-servicing of charter specials and from reading your postings i see that you have alot of experience with maintaining reels, and hope someone will be able to help us all with a few pointers.

However i did want to share with others the horror stories that were re-counted to me. I spoke to quite a few dealers about the TR2000 LD before buying and asked about servicing the reel myself, all replied "PLEASE DON'T", with quite a few expletives thrown in!!!

They proceeded to list numerous reels brought in with stop/start or completely stuck drags, or no drags at all, sheared screws, missing components etc.

Although i have waved the screwdriver at it a few times, i have resisted temptation, and pay the extra money for it to be serviced.

In my opinion their almost faultless reels, but internally their a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lofty,

I'm still using my 7000's. I have'nt yet plucked up the courage to go for the Charter Special, I dont think that I ever will.

Once again lads, if anyone has stripped and assembled a Shimano reel successfully will you please contact me.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts