World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have just gotten a shakespearer powerplay bass multi rod a few week ago and it has costers on it and i hate costers im after getting a ajustible reel seat but what on would best suit the rod and what size would i need to get so it fits without putting tape underneath it as i carnt get to the rod at the minuet to measure it as im at outr lasses and am goijng to order the reel seat now off the commy all reply would be much appriciated

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get the new talon reel seat. Dont waste money on the Abu Griplock or the Century reel seats, as they can both slip with heavier reels. The talon can be clamped well and it is comfortable to cast with, hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
why an adjustable reel seat?
fuji fps reel seats are good they go up in 2mm sizes eg 20 22 24 26 28 etc.
just glue it on with araldite and never put tape underneath.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want a ajusti reel seat so i can move it to different positions as i keep changing the position of it for different marks and situations and done want to glue it on

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get the Talon reel seat for £15 mate, much better than the Abu and Century as i have said before. I have owned all three and at the moment am upgrading all my rods to use the Talon reel seats.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Dont buy the Abu they are bulky and prone to slipping. The one i have is the 25mm diameter one and have since given it to a friend. He has told me thpugh that if you cut a section of bike inner tube to line the reel seat that it grips much better. If you prefer some decent foam coasters than i have some century ones i could send you, although i dont like using coasters for larger fixed spool reels. For £15 the century reel seat is better than the abu but poor value. Just go for the Talon, if you can get a look at one in the tackle shop you will see why i prefer it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi mate i could just do with some decent costers to do me for now as i have just come of the sick as i crushed a bone in me hand and am a bit straped for cash as the costers that come with the rod ar crap

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If you measure the diametre of the rod butt then i will see if i have some i can send you. I have a few sets of century and diawa comfy coasters in my garage so will probably be able to send you some.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Riteo i will have a look for you. Dont worry about any money, they were just going to waste anyway, and i will frank them at work so the postage wont cost me anything either. I will need your address though so could you PM it to me.

·
Registered
24,188 Posts
im looking for something like this as it is just to go on the rod to use for macky bashing and flatty bashing so it shouldnt slip as not much pressurer will get put on the reel seat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABU-GARCIA-AD...ryZ23822QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Smiithy,
like the advert says they slide !
I had one supplied as standard to an Abu uptider / beachcaster and frankly I was a little more than dismayed to find it rotates round the rod .
Getting it tight enough is difficult unless your a taxman .
Undoing a tightened one is also just as hard , you have to use the taxman and his brother .

Look in the Tags and see if there are any more "reel seat " tags as recently someone near Swansea West had some up for grabs .

Some guys also cut a "H " section slot in the grip and use a coaster to tighten it better without crushing the rod body .
I understand from one or two guys that it is easy to over tighten a Talon and crush the butt.

Regards
David

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
why an adjustable reel seat?
fuji fps reel seats are good they go up in 2mm sizes eg 20 22 24 26 28 etc.
just glue it on with araldite and never put tape underneath.
Using masking tape to fit a winch fitting to a butt section is a standard method for fitting a winch fitting EXACTLY to a bare butt section. How would you otherwise expect a rod builder to fit one, can I ask?
Be wary of single point fittings, as some mfrs will not guarantee their products if these are used.
perhaps Stan M could comment as well?

philtherod

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Using masking tape to fit a winch fitting to a butt section is a standard method for fitting a winch fitting EXACTLY to a bare butt section. How would you otherwise expect a rod builder to fit one, can I ask?
Be wary of single point fittings, as some mfrs will not guarantee their products if these are used.
perhaps Stan M could comment as well?

philtherod

Spot on Phil, no problems at all in fitting masking tape under a reels seat to get an exact fit. I use flexicote arbors or cork tape but have often used masking tape and will do again in the future if the situation calls for it. Just put three rings of tape around the blank with gaps between, one top, one bottom and one middle of the reel seat until it slides over with nothing but glue space left. The masking tape adds nothing to the strength of the joint it simple acts as a centering shim to take up a small space of say a couple of mm. Any more, get a smaller reels seat.

Often the seat / blank diameters make it impossible to use the cork tape which is about 2mm |(and costly for diy as its £40 a roll) so masking tape is fine as long as the spaces are left between the tape rings to allow the adhesive to grip the blank.

I`ve lost track of the rods I`ve stripped for re-build with masking tape arbors still a solid fixing. Everything from the big UK names, to Sage, Thomas & Thomas, Loomis, Hardy you name it. Some of the big trolling rods have double sided carpet tape under the foregrips with no glue, they are "floated on with compressed air.

As to the single point fixing, I`ve personally never had any dealings with it but sounds as if it could be a bit dodgy, dont know never done it.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I know of somebody who had the same problem mentioned by Philtherod, namely he crushed the rod! I think it's conoflex that have a disclaimer on their website advising against using the Talon. Up to you, but I'd go for something else or just be very careful if you do go for the Talon.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im going to give some better costers a go off bass-in what he is going to send me as the on that come with rod are pure crap are 32mm so i have had to build them up using inner tube under reel seat and insid the rings of the costers

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
This might not appeal to some people but have you considered a Fuji Snap-Lock real fitting?
I have just fitted one to a bass rod as the coasters I had were too large for the blank.
At first you can just tape them on - when you find the most comfortable position you can whip them. Sounds like I am writing for a kinky forum:unsure:
I added a single Breakaway plastic coaster. Fitted over the rear of the reel seat it ensures the snap-lock cannot open and adds a 'trigger' to aid your grip.
I have one rod with two snap-locks fitted - one for low reel/one for high.
They are so light and flexible they make no difference to the rod action.

If you try Snap-locks make sure they are Fuji. These last many years (the one just fitted has been on three other rods).
There were some imitations that corroded badly.
Also, some came with narrow feet and some had the feet widened. The wider were more stable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts