World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so second hand Stradic 3000 is here. I've got my braid and my flurocarbon.

I know it's got to go on very tight.

However with my bait multipliers I usually put some gaffer around the spool, and then spool on my flurocarbon.

What should I do for spinning set up on the stradic?

1. tape with gaffer to give good grip.
2. spool up some flurocarbon nice and tight to cover the spool,
3. knot this to the braid and spool on the braid?

Its Daiwa Tourny 8 strand braid in a fetching luminous colour BTW, I know that colour is the important factor here.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Hi there,
On my Aernos 3000, I tied braid on, then put tape round two turns, then just wound on.
With 33lb PP, I was spooling reel on the cast sometimes (with metals), on 11'.
On smaller rod or less LB line, you might wish to add some backing, though I choose braid not mono (flatter, more solid bed). For instance, 33lb braid backing, 18lb casting?
You either want to tape on or use mono to stop the braid turning on the spool under heavy drag (mind you, TBH, I am not sure you would reach that level of drag on a small reel?)
Enjoy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The way I do it is to wrap a few turns of braid around your spool, then wind the braid on as tight as you can, do the same with some mono backing until the spool is filled to just on the bevel of the lip on the spool.

Now, because I do not have any spare spools for my reels, I use a cheap 7000 sized fixed spool to wind the line onto, I think it was less than a tenner, I put the mono backing onto one spool and the braid onto the other of the cheapo reel.

Next stage, tie the mono backing on to your Stradic spool, set the drag on the cheapo reel to give some tension while winding and put the backing onto the spool, once done tie the backing to your braid from the other spool, my preferred knot is the FC knot, not had one break yet, even pulling from snags, again set the drag to give tension and wind on the braid, once all the braid is on it should be at the start of the bevel of your spool, perfectly filled.

I keep a foot on the handle of my cheapo reel on the floor while filling, but I think it was Andy that came up with the idea of attaching both reels to a broom handle with cable ties to make it easier, and I still haven't bought one yet.

Forgot to add, always make sure the spool of the donor reel is at the back or you could end up bending the main shaft of the reel.

·
Registered
988 Posts
just like the capn says, but it's much, much easier if you have a spare spool. The braid wouldn't be 20lb would it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
using the drag of another reel is a good idea - I'm never confident I have put braid on tight enough and have always just done it through a cloth and pinching the line

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,526 Posts
using the drag of another reel is a good idea - I'm never confident I have put braid on tight enough and have always just done it through a cloth and pinching the line
Cloth and pencil is the best way to do it for me as using another reel drag will just add twist into the equation.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Cloth and pencil is the best way to do it for me as using another reel drag will just add twist into the equation.
Nick, I can't see how that will work to prevent twist, because in theory the braid would have to come off the spool end on in the same direction as it is being wound onto the fixed spool reel, using the pencil method would only work for multipliers and the cloth would never provide enough friction to get the braid as tight as the two reel method.

I can't say as I have ever noticed any line twist using the two reel method to be honest and will continue using it until such time someone proves there is a better way to get the braid as tight on the spool.

That`s the way i do it, the wife hates holding the spool though, if i go too quick she moans it burns her hands.. :laugh:
Another perfectly good reason to use the two reel method, I can never find anyone to hold the spool. "Once burnt twice shy they say".:g:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Not if you use a multiplier as the donor reel . I know roughly how much mono backing i need on the fishing reel so that goes on first , usually a nice slim mono of a similar diameter to the braid to give a nice flat backing . I have utilised an old bass rod butt ( broom handle will do same job ) , and i have the donor multiplier fixed to the other end with jubilee clips . The braid is soaked in a bucket of water first , then wound onto the multiplier , but not with the braid coiling off the plastic spool it comes on , but with the spool spinning and the braid coming off direct with no twist being introduced . Easy with the power pro as the spool it comes on is inside a handy dispenser that enables you to do this by just holding it between your feet . Then with the fishing reel in the reel seat of the rod butt , the braid on the donor multiplier that is fixed on the other end of the butt is wound onto the fishing reel under tension from the multiplier , up to the start of the bevel on the spool lip on a shimano . This method has served me well , no line twist is introduced whatsoever doing it this way , other than the natural twist of it going onto the fishing spool which you obviousely cant avoid , and wind knots or any problems with braid were banished for ever it seems once i started doing it this way :thumbs:

·
61,526 Posts
That`s the way i do it, the wife hates holding the spool though, if i go too quick she moans it burns her hands.. :laugh:
I get my mother lol.....she has been helping me spool up lines since I was a young kid.

·
61,526 Posts
Not if you use a multiplier as the donor reel . I know roughly how much mono backing i need on the fishing reel so that goes on first , usually a nice slim mono of a similar diameter to the braid to give a nice flat backing . I have utilised an old bass rod butt ( broom handle will do same job ) , and i have the donor multiplier fixed to the other end with jubilee clips . The braid is soaked in a bucket of water first , then wound onto the multiplier , but not with the braid coiling off the plastic spool it comes on , but with the spool spinning and the braid coming off direct with no twist being introduced . Easy with the power pro as the spool it comes on is inside a handy dispenser that enables you to do this by just holding it between your feet . Then with the fishing reel in the reel seat of the rod butt , the braid on the donor multiplier that is fixed on the other end of the butt is wound onto the fishing reel under tension from the multiplier , up to the start of the bevel on the spool lip on a shimano . This method has served me well , no line twist is introduced whatsoever doing it this way , other than the natural twist of it going onto the fishing spool which you obviousely cant avoid , and wind knots or any problems with braid were banished for ever it seems once i started doing it this way :thumbs:
Good thinking there Rod...

If I did that It would give mother a rest lol.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I put on mono first tight to bulk it up and keep it tight. Tie on the braid to the mono, put the braid spool in a bucket of tap water and while under tension holding the braid with you hand reel it in. Reel should be on a rod butt section and use the first eye.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there,
On my Aernos 3000, I tied braid on, then put tape round two turns, then just wound on.
With 33lb PP, I was spooling reel on the cast sometimes (with metals), on 11'.
On smaller rod or less LB line, you might wish to add some backing, though I choose braid not mono (flatter, more solid bed). For instance, 33lb braid backing, 18lb casting?
You either want to tape on or use mono to stop the braid turning on the spool under heavy drag (mind you, TBH, I am not sure you would reach that level of drag on a small reel?)
Enjoy.
Thanks Lipslicker. I'm not sure what you mean by ' was spooling reel on the cast sometimes (with metals), on 11.'. not sure waht 'metals' means? am I being a bit thick? Sorry.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone done a video of this process as i'm not really sure what you're all talking about? i've read and re-read these posts and I'm missing something.

The key thing is to get the braid on tight, right? Under tension and so the braid can't slip.

So my original post, which stated my intended technique:

'What should I do for spinning set up on the stradic?

3. knot this to the braid and spool on the braid?'

Is this wrong?

Any video links would be a great help...

Thanks so far, guess i'm a little bit thick.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Has anyone done a video of this process as i'm not really sure what you're all talking about? i've read and re-read these posts and I'm missing something.

The key thing is to get the braid on tight, right? Under tension and so the braid can't slip.

So my original post, which stated my intended technique:

'What should I do for spinning set up on the stradic?

3. knot this to the braid and spool on the braid?'

Is this wrong?

Any video links would be a great help...

Thanks so far, guess i'm a little bit thick.
I`m sure i saw a vid on you tube showing you how to spool a reel, i think it might have been one of the totally awesome fishing show videos..Have a look..

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Thanks Lipslicker. I'm not sure what you mean by ' was spooling reel on the cast sometimes (with metals), on 11.'. not sure waht 'metals' means? am I being a bit thick? Sorry.
Sorry, was casting to zero line left, using Dexters/metal casting jigs. I guess 140-150 yards.
Using lighter line, hard lures or shorter rod, that would never be an issue.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Good thinking there Rod...

If I did that It would give mother a rest lol.
Lol Nick , i reckon your mother has taken parental responsability to a whole new level with that , im guessing you wouldnt even want anyone else to hold the spool now after all these years eh !

·
61,526 Posts
Lol Nick , i reckon your mother has taken parental responsability to a whole new level with that , im guessing you wouldnt even want anyone else to hold the spool now after all these years eh !
Yep mate...not even my son....lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts