World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I've only been fishing for a few months and I almost feel a bit silly asking this question - but what does the reel size actualy refer to? E.g. Abu 6500, Exage 2500 etc etc. I realise that a 10000 is bigger than a 6500 which again is bigger that a 2500. But what do the numbers actualy mean? Is it a measurment of some form or is a just a relative number used by manufacturers. Also does the reel size mean the same thing for both fixed spool's and multipliers?:unsure:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Now I've only been fishing for a few months and I almost feel a bit silly asking this question - but what does the reel size actualy refer to? E.g. Abu 6500, Exage 2500 etc etc. I realise that a 10000 is bigger than a 6500 which again is bigger that a 2500. But what do the numbers actualy mean? Is it a measurment of some form or is a just a relative number used by manufacturers. Also does the reel size mean the same thing for both fixed spool's and multipliers?:unsure:
Good question actually!

As far as I am aware it is just a matter of convention, Abu use the 'thousand' numbering system for their multipliers, although other manufacturers do not. Most manufacturers use this system for fixed spools, to enable approximate size comparison. I'm not sure if the numbers actually correspond directly with any dimensional measurement on the reel, although I could be wrong on that.:g:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
on most fixed spools i think the number usualy relates to the diameter of the spool.ie..i have an okuma axeon65 and that is the size of the spool in mm.not sure about multis though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts