World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for this? I have a bare workshop wall and about 20 reels lying in a pile. Who's got 20 spare reel seats that they don't need?

I had an idea about surface mounting a 20mm dia length of conduit and sliding a load of 25mm running couplings along it and jamming the reels in with those, but there's not enough room betweem the conduit and tube.

Any ideas anyone (I know - "sell off the reels you don't use" - she said that too!)???

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Thats what I use, they can be tightened up for long term storage, or left slack for temporary, stop each jubilee clip sliding off, by putting a panel pin into the wood behind it;)
blueskip

·
Registered
24,907 Posts
TB
Why not make up four or five simple shelves on some adjustable shelf brackets with a bit of quadrant at the front and ends of each shelf to keep them on it ?
You can keep them in plastic bags with a bit of silica gel to keep them rust free etc.

Regards David

·
Registered
686 Posts
Plastic cable ties should work - just leave them loose and trim the ends.

The weight of the reel should hold them in position.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuji Snap-locks. Mount on board on wall, or attach snap-locks to any pipework using cable ties.

Do you happen to have around 20 going spare?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Does anyone have any tips for this? I have a bare workshop wall and about 20 reels lying in a pile. Who's got 20 spare reel seats that they don't need?

I had an idea about surface mounting a 20mm dia length of conduit and sliding a load of 25mm running couplings along it and jamming the reels in with those, but there's not enough room betweem the conduit and tube.

Any ideas anyone (I know - "sell off the reels you don't use" - she said that too!)???
Personnaly, I can't see whats wrong with a pile of reels - its worked for me for over 20 years!:unsure:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
:wave: My mistake, thought you might have been flush.
As you have a boat to maintain I fully understand where the money goes.
I run a boat with a 50hp engine and can only afford to drop the reels in a draw.
Like you, I would like to have something more convenient. Certainly when I spend £50 - £400 on a reel I should perhaps spend £4 on a Snap-Lock to ensure they are not scratched in storage.:)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
broom handle, and cut a cycle inner tube into inch lengths. Slip each on the rounded end of the broomhandle, and there you go!

philtherod

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
broom handle, and cut a cycle inner tube into inch lengths. Slip each on the rounded end of the broomhandle, and there you go!

philtherod

Now that is one simple and very smart idea Phil :notworthy

Sometimes it can stare you in the face

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

philtherod
Simple, low tech and cheap - always the best answer!

Reminds me of the Yank showing off his Parker Ballpoint pen to a Russian. The Yank said smuggly, "NASA spent $4m developing a pen that would write in zero gravity". The Russian replied, " on our space missions we use pencils"!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
mine go in cloth bags in the boiler cupboard. Takes up v little space and they dont get cold and damp or exposed to UV (line damage)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
get some cabnets from ikea. cheap and you can get loads of different types.

or keep the ones you use in your fishing box and the ones you don't in boxes in the loft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts