World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it difficult to learn to control a multiplier with your left hand when fishing with your reel down,also are the benefits worth the effort. i am looking at buying a rod that has an extension with it .does this mean it is just for reel down or could be used for either. so far i have not learned any advanced cast but may do soon

· Registered
2,119 Posts
is it difficult to learn to control a multiplier with your left hand when fishing with your reel down,also are the benefits worth the effort. i am looking at buying a rod that has an extension with it .does this mean it is just for reel down or could be used for either. so far i have not learned any advanced cast but may do soon
It's just down to personal preference, I prefer reel down - feels like I have more control and can get more power in the cast, I also prefer reeling in reel down. It's not difficult to learn, I origionally only switched because I bought a slosh30 and it was uncomfortable to cast with it reel up because the reel sits so high on the rod, I ended up changing all my rods to reel down after this.

Just because your rod has a reducer doesn't mean you have to cast reel down, a couple of my rods have reducers but I never use them :fish:

· Registered
2,408 Posts
I changed to reel down recently due to problems with reel cages, however I would prefer to fish reel up. The first few casts will seem strange, but I managed to get used to it pretty quickly and can cast about the same either way.

As Lewis888 says, down to presonal preference, see how you go and do what is best for you.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
reel down =slow loading of the rod better casting ,difficult to work a lure or feathers
reel up = happy medium between casting and retrieving

i like reel down myself but due to fixed reel seats its not always possible
and when retrieving just wedge the rod butt in my belly or hold the rod one handed if theres nowt on (my left arm is almost as developed as my right lol )

· Banned
820 Posts
That's an easy one!

Reel down for the field and rods over 12'9".
Reel up for fishing with all but the longest rods .....
then again reel up for most F/S on L...O....N.....G ('continental') rods.
I use reel down for both fixed spool and multiplier (Daiwa Millionmax FS and Peen 525s with my 13ft Penn INXs Long Range rods. Being doing this for the last 5 years and that after many years of reel up. It doesn't take long to get used to using the other hand for control.
My control of the rod is better. I can get more power in. Distance has gone up when needed and the rods are well balanced in my hands.
Winding in line or a fish is a pleasure as you can get the butt tucked in your stomach and put your other hand up the butt to get the best leverage position.:)

· Registered
5,809 Posts
Stick with how you are most comfy, try it in the low and if it feels wrong stick with what you know.

· Banned
820 Posts
Hi If your rod has a reducer it gives you the option of using it reel down. If you wan't to go reel up then don't use the reducer. My own rods don't have a reducer and I use the reels low down. OK when they are in a rod rest but the reels can get banged about or scratched if you fishing from rocks as most of my east coast Scottish codding is. I use a lean too type rest from the rocks which is light and makes it easier to move from mark to mark, than a full type twin rod rest.
A reducer is handy to keep the reels a bit higher of the ground. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.