World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been done to death but the shimanos on its very last legs, snapped bail, grinding its the 3rd one not sure iwant another.
has anyone yet tried the snowbee raptor
that ryobi artica
one of the spro reels from AOF.
the sakura reels
or anything else similar

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
66,635 Posts
Matt,I recon you must be mega hard on your reels mate LoL I have never had any problems at all.......Do you rince them after use and are you getting them full of salt water regular etc... You could try the Daiwas,I have been using them for several years now Branzino/Luvius/ etc and they are vary good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello nick always value your opinion, I fish nearly everyday in the summer before work then the reel sits in the boot, it gets wet occasionally sure the heat then does the damage,

I did pack the latest one out with grease but the antireverse stopped working the bail snapped on a tumble, cant blame the reel for that lol

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Hello nick always value your opinion, I fish nearly everyday in the summer before work then the reel sits in the boot, it gets wet occasionally sure the heat then does the damage,

I did pack the latest one out with grease but the antireverse stopped working the bail snapped on a tumble, cant blame the reel for that lol
Hey Matt...
just a thought........try taking a flagon of fresh water with you in the mornings.....leave it in the car while you're fishing...and then flush the reel with it before you head off to work.. leave the reel out of view , in the car (footwell) not the boot, and out of any bag , so it can air dry properly...........

..also have a look at the Diawa Exceler X 3000 ............

...and keep thos catch reports coming ...great reading!

best wishes,
'K.L.'

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Got a friend who owns a snowbee raptor and loves it .had a few goes onit my self not enough to recomend it but first impressions are that its a very nice reel . defo worth a look

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey Matt...
just a thought........try taking a flagon of fresh water with you in the mornings.....leave it in the car while you're fishing...and then flush the reel with it before you head off to work.. leave the reel out of view , in the car (footwell) not the boot, and out of any bag , so it can air dry properly...........

..also have a look at the Diawa Exceler X 3000 ............

...and keep thos catch reports coming ...great reading!

best wishes,
'K.L.'
Problem is getting salt inside the gear mechanism - rinsing the outside won't get that off. But you should rinse your reel - salt never goes away, it just stays there, drawing moisture to itself and keeping things wet. I've packed stuff away for the winter, and found them damp the following spring just because I didn't get the salt off.

I'm increasingly going down the cheap and chuck route with reels. My reels are often doused under a wave or two during kayaking, it wrecks them all eventually. Tried Shimano, Diawa, Abu, Alcedo, etc. All failed within one season. If saltwater gets inside, then it will destroy the reel.

I notice Alcedo have just released something they call a 'marine spin' reels. Saltwater proof, but 5000 size, even though fairly light (compared to American reels at least), cheapest is about £60. Probably a bit beefy.

Personally, I'd go the cheap and chuck it route - try ABU Cardinal Saltwater 174SWi. Veals have them and they've survived more than a season (though only just) on my kayak.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you ruled out the Soron STX Matt?
went shimano again in the end, buying reels does nothing for me, get excited over rods lures line but not reels,

got that new shimano areo 4000Fa spin, bigger diameter arc spool worth a few yards, and the aero linelay system, dont usually buy into the hype but shimano linelays worth it, got it hidden in the kitchen.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
any daiwa reel four reel will last you, or a mag sealed reel ie caldia and certate.
can also recommend the exceler x reels if on a tighter budget.

nick p. can i borrow your branzino pretty pretty please?:hug:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hello Matt,
Like you, I fish a coupe of hours almost every morning, and I seem to destroy a reel in about 3 months. I'm also clumsy, prone to dropping things and falling over, so generally give my gear a hard time.
I now have a Ryobi Arctica, and it's lasted longer than any previous reel from Shimano, Daiwa, Mitchell, Pann ... I'm up to about 6 months, and still no sign of dying on me. As I recall, the price was OK too.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Matt,
Like you, I fish a coupe of hours almost every morning, and I seem to destroy a reel in about 3 months. I'm also clumsy, prone to dropping things and falling over, so generally give my gear a hard time.
I now have a Ryobi Arctica, and it's lasted longer than any previous reel from Shimano, Daiwa, Mitchell, Pann ... I'm up to about 6 months, and still no sign of dying on me. As I recall, the price was OK too.
leaky i did look at that one as there for sale locally, whats the linelay like ?

G

·
penn fierce. so far no issues immersed a few times wading out and washed off? seems pretty well sealed up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.