World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents
I was just wondering what size and type of reel you favour for the 100-125-150-175 gram weights. Also when I am at Surfcast Wales I have herd discussion between some of the more experienced casters regarding line levels. Sometimes they advocate taking line off and other times humping the line up. I appreciate that this is to do with weather and conditions, but when do you do what, and more importantly why

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
All casters have their own individual preferences when it comes to reel sizes and line levels. Generally the smaller the lead the smaller the spool and the less line you load on the spool. When it comes to conditions the better the casting conditions the more line you would want on the spool (so you don't empty it mid cast!).

Obviously there's a bit more to it than that but it all comes with experience of different casting situations.

for me...

100g - 5600 (slightly under filled or level depending on conditions)
125g - 5500 (slightly over filled)
150g - 6600 (level)
175g - 6600 wide or daiwa 7ht (both over filled)

You have to remember that the more line you load on a spool the heavier that spool will be - this can affect the initial surge (especially important on light leads). Also less line can mean less magnetic breaking is required - more line more mag breaking required.

This topic is very technical and everyone will have different ways of doing things.

Listen to experienced casters, find what works for you personally, and stick with it

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hi Gents
I was just wondering what size and type of reel you favour for the 100-125-150-175 gram weights. Also when I am at Surfcast Wales I have herd discussion between some of the more experienced casters regarding line levels. Sometimes they advocate taking line off and other times humping the line up. I appreciate that this is to do with weather and conditions, but when do you do what, and more importantly why
You know I use an Abu Black Max 6600 for the 125g/0.28mm, and now I've just finished converting a 6600W for the 150g/0.31mm class.

If I had as much money as you:wallbash: I'd buy another Black Max, the 5600, for the 100g/0.25mm class.

For the 175g/0.35mm, I use my ancient 1970's period 6500ct's, because the spool arbour is thinner (like the 7HT) than the "Ultracast" spools.

As for line level, it is just that! I'm not in the spool emptying category,:laugh: or ever likely to be,:doh: and excess line adds inertia to a spool, and is therefore dead weight for me.

Better casters than me can afford to hump the line to varying degrees, and may strip some off if the conditions are unfavourable. But I know with variable mag braking, this is not an issue it once was with just oil and brake blocks.:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve
Nice and simple just as I like it.

Hi Brian
As for line level, it is just that! I'm not in the spool emptying category, or ever likely to be,
I am in the same group as you,(the lots of line left group), but I also thought as the spool empties, the drag increases, so having the line humped alleviates this, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thanks Steve
Nice and simple just as I like it.

Hi Brian

I am in the same group as you,(the lots of line left group), but I also thought as the spool empties, the drag increases, so having the line humped alleviates this, doesn't it?
In the days of spindles dragging in pinions and centrifugal brake blocks having a greater affect on an emptying spool, then yes.

With free running fancy ceramic bearings, and spin away mags, it's not so crucial.
Not for me anyway, but I bet Danny would know the difference:laugh:

And..........if you "hump" the line on the spool, then thumb grip may be compromised!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
All casters have their own individual preferences when it comes to reel sizes and line levels. Generally the smaller the lead the smaller the spool and the less line you load on the spool. When it comes to conditions the better the casting conditions the more line you would want on the spool (so you don't empty it mid cast!).

Obviously there's a bit more to it than that but it all comes with experience of different casting situations.

for me...

100g - 5600 (slightly under filled or level depending on conditions)
125g - 5500 (slightly over filled)
150g - 6600 (level)
175g - 6600 wide or daiwa 7ht (both over filled)

You have to remember that the more line you load on a spool the heavier that spool will be - this can affect the initial surge (especially important on light leads). Also less line can mean less magnetic breaking is required - more line more mag breaking required.

This topic is very technical and everyone will have different ways of doing things.

Listen to experienced casters, find what works for you personally, and stick with it

My reel choices are almost identical to this ;)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
for me i use

mag 2 and crome 55 for 100g level

mag 2 and 55 for 125 level

6600w and 65 mono 150 level

and 6600w and mag 3 level

personly i don,t over fill my reels because i aint casting far enough to reach my backing . when / if i ever get to the backing then i,ll put more line on

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Gents
Some of the mist is lifting:headhurt:

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have seen quite a few of these reels being used for field casting, but where do you get them from?

Also they appear to be modified, can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have seen quite a few of these reels being used for field casting, but where do you get them from?

Also they appear to be modified, can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks
To avoid confusion...
The standard 5600 and 6600 reels have the spool release bar in place of the rear crossbar, otherwise they are similar to the 5500 and 6500 reels with the conventional press button spool release.

Of course, you are referring to the Abu Promax and Blackmax series which were deleted some years ago.

The demand for them, I would imagine, came from the introduction of the different weight/line classes introduced to tournament casting.
When I started casting in the "Sea angler" events, it was any lead with 0.35 line and 0.70 leader, and standard 6500CT's were all that was required.

So, the only source is used (and abused), but the the pioneers who first used them found them to be "old school" Abu quality, with a lower spool position for extra thumb grip.

They can be a chore to convert to "CT" spec, as the front and rear support bars are a must, a press button release sourced (easy job to do), the upper frame filed away, and a new sideplate fabricated to support the Mag system.

I've just finished a 6600W (W=wide) as I was so impressed with the performance of the 6600.

For comparison...[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian
Nice jobs looks the dogs doodas, is that a center mag on the 6600W

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Brian
Nice jobs looks the dogs doodas, is that a center mag on the 6600W
Threre's no room to fit a centre mag with all the internal webbing/bracing on the left side of the frame.

You have to file out a space in the frame for the mag to reach the spool, and there's only one place to do that without weakening the inner frame that houses the spindle support.

That's my opinion anyway, so I choose to fit an offset mono mag that's low and forward of the spindle.

If I used it for fishing, it would get in the way. But then I wouldn't bother with fitting the Mag if It was for that purpose!

Got your pm, so I'll answer that too................................:bounce:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you want a brand spanking new 5600 or 6600 size reel give pod manufacturing (qtc) a call - They don't come cheap... but when has anything good been cheap? Especially when it comes to rods and reels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts