World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive been advised to get a mustad viking lite for flatties and general light fishing in my area.

The info available on this forum seems to point to using multipliers with this rod.

Is this correct or could you use a fixed spool.

If so which type of f/s would be best.

Im a newbie so go gentle.

many thanks.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
mitchels f/s reels are tough as old boots and well suited to general use and well priced
if its a multi then chrome rocket or mag elite or 7ht
okuma have good f/s reels also again well priced when compared to penn and shimano
it would totally depend on whether the rod was rung for f/s or multi and your budget
either way i would avoid tow trucks like sloshes or 525s which would be total overkill for flatties
shimano make cracking f/s reels as do daiwa

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My old man has this rod while i have the Shakespeare Odessa Bass which is similar i have used an Abu 5500 Ultracast, and Abu 6500CT sprotsmag, a Daiwa 7HT and a Shimano 6000GTE on the rod with no bother. My favourite though has to be the Shimano baitrunner though when conditions allow, great for spinning and float fishing for pollack, but also good for light beachfishing. If you look at my report in the Northeast Forum you will see i actually used the Odessa Bass with the Shimano 6000 GTE today, loaded with 30lb Berkley Whiplash and a 30lb mono leader to catch dabs with off the pier.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
On the rods, a Shakespeare Odessa bass might be better for you. It is a bit more stiffer in the but section than the mustad and i prefer the duplon grips as it makes it easier for fishing with a fixed spool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts