World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone recomend a reel where the bail arm , never snaps shut on the cast , i open away from the rod ,and keep the arm at the back , on my twin power (last years model ) i may have a jerky cast to at times , but 3 plugs (50pound) went bye bye today , is there a reel out there that clicks back and stays back at all times , cheers

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You can get reels that have only manual closing on the bail. Alternatively you can remove the bail spring from your reel to convert it to manual closing.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry 3 trips old , a spanking new reel , same , as tom spitfire has got , and i think he suffers the same problem , its more than annoying , had a 20 pound ohkoma reel last year , prob only happened 3 time whole season , is there a reel where you can just open the bail arm any position and power cast , like you have to some times , and not worry , cheers not sure its the spring type

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If you don't want to spend a fortune Mark, I haven't had a problem my Shimano Exage 4000RA.
You should of said this morning m8 and you could of had a go with it.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Mark - the Stella doesnt do it :icecream:

Its caused by the reel handle moving over the trip position during a more powerful cast

you could get a double handle or wedge your little finger between the spool and body --- I found the best way to avoid it was not to try too hard on the cast seems only to happen when Im trying to "cast further"

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you wind the bail round to the position to where the trip is there is no inertia to trip it when you cast ...

open bail
slowly rotate it to where it stops
cast smoothly
close bail manually with your hand
fish!

Never had a snap off doing it this way - with cheapies or my new TwinPower SW 4000XG

Its the inertia generated during the cast that spins the spool over the trip ...

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you wind the bail round to the position to where the trip is there is no inertia to trip it when you cast ...

open bail
slowly rotate it to where it stops
cast smoothly
close bail manually with your hand
fish!

Never had a snap off doing it this way - with cheapies or my new TwinPower SW 4000XG

Its the inertia generated during the cast that spins the spool over the trip ...
cheers for that , so i turn the arm to the point of trip and cast , and yes tom only on the odd power cast :g: the cast smoothly is not always possible standing on a rock , with wind and weed , and waves crashing :uhuh: some times a forceful cast is needed if you see a fish top , out of range , cant be fishing with a reel thats losing plugs at that rate :nono:

·
Registered
925 Posts
I bought an exage 4000fa last year. Never had that problem with the bail arm and I've cast thousands of times with it, many times hard against the wind. Never had a wind knot with braid, still as smooth as the day I got it and it's been used loads. Rinse it off after every use and oil/grease it on every 4th or 5th trip out.

Can't see the sort of plugging we do why anybody would need anything else?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you don't want to spend a fortune Mark, I haven't had a problem my Shimano Exage 4000RA.
You should of said this morning m8 and you could of had a go with it.
I second that, I have had the exage 4000 FB for 7 months and have never had it close on me, and I give the plugs a fair wack out there sometimes. It has taken a fair battering on rocks after a few slips:doh:, lots of salt water from Kayak use and its is still really smooth with great line lay and I've never had a wind knot or any twists in the Power Pro. I do wash it out with hot water and oil it once in a while though.

For £50'ish it is a bargain.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
My exage does it at times my Fin-Nor megalite does it more often the but the drag more than makes up for this problem the older Fin-nor F303 doesn't yet! the tip about turning the handle seems to be a good one that i will be trying next time out thanks for that!

dai

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,986 Posts
sorry 3 trips old , a spanking new reel , same , as tom spitfire has got , and i think he suffers the same problem , its more than annoying , had a 20 pound ohkoma reel last year , prob only happened 3 time whole season , is there a reel where you can just open the bail arm any position and power cast , like you have to some times , and not worry , cheers not sure its the spring type
That sounds like every pluggers nightmare Mark.
All I can say is I have only ever used Shimano fixed spool reels and the only time I have had a problem was in the midd 80s with the shimano 6000 size baitrunners and the original 'sea spin' models.
I used to loop a small rubber band onto the bail arm and stretch it over the back of the reel body.
The reel that you are using is way way higher up the ladder than those old baitrunners etc and it just shouldnt happen.
I use the Stradics in the 5000 size and I can honestly say to you that its never happend to me once with either of my Stradics.
Your reel is the next one up the Shimano ladder and it just shouldnt happen.
Maybee the reel is just so smooth with all those propper bearings inside that when you cast the inerta of the motion is moving the handle and 'rotar' round and tripping the bail.
I would say that this was the most likley cause of the problem.
Could the same thing happen with the Stella sw ?
Mark it has to be the 'inerta' of the power cast moving the handle and 'rota'.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My Daiwa Saltiga Game 3000 has no bail trip, it is completely manual and has never ever closed of it own accord!!! A bit heavier than the Shimano you are using but built for catching tuna etc so now problems with power/wear etc.

I sent you a PM a few days ago about fishing down your way. If we meet up your are welcome to try it. Ask Martin H what he thought of it in the meantime, he tried it on Mick's boat in Jersey.

cheers

Mike

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've never had it happen in my life (that I remember). Think it may be though that I always have a finger on the reel to stop it moving/spinning while I cast.... One finger on the braid (pre-cast) and my little finger outstretched (as if joyfully sipping tea) on the spool shaft (whatever it's called). I just do it, so its probably more accidental that I've never had this problem - rather than planned.

Soon as I've cast, the finger that was holding the braid also tends to end up stopping the bail arm/shaft from spinning. By the end of the cast I might have 3 fingers down the side of the reel, so it won't move much.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Daiwa Saltiga Game 3000 has no bail trip, it is completely manual and has never ever closed of it own accord!!! A bit heavier than the Shimano you are using but built for catching tuna etc so now problems with power/wear etc.

I sent you a PM a few days ago about fishing down your way. If we meet up your are welcome to try it. Ask Martin H what he thought of it in the meantime, he tried it on Mick's boat in Jersey.

cheers

Mike
like mr phillips said above , i think that is happening , its a mare , again today twice , but put fire line 20 back on , it can take it , still see no cure , i open it away from me , turn it to the part just before it trips , and it still trips , ill work something out , and mr never enough , yeah come on down when your free ,i fish with martin h a lot , so join us any time

·
Registered
447 Posts
It might be that the reel has been assembled with very little grease inside causing it to run faster. If that is the case, try taking the side plate of the main drive gear part of the reel body and putting in some thicker grease to slow it down. If you slow the reel down a bit it might not have chance to cause that problem.
Does your reel run very free?
If you fish with somebody who has a similar reel try swapping for a while, that way you can determine if it is your casting technique or your particular reel.

Will PM you about fishing down your way.
Cheers
Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts