World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive already got a shakespear odessa reel and was thinking of buying a beach multiplier and if so which should i buy i noticed a shakespear hurrican multi but not sure
also do i need a new rod it aswell??

if u could help me it would be much appreciated

arch

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to own a Shakespeare President and it was very smooth and pleasant to use. It lasted long enough for me to learn to cast with and was still in good condition when I sold it on. I've no experience of a Hurricane so I can't say much about them. You can't expect them to compare with the likes of ABUs but Shakespeare is a reputable brand and at around £25 I'd be surprised if you didn't at least get your money's worth out of one. Swifty's Fishing Tackle, by the way, have the Atlantis which as three ball bearings and machined brass gears at £28. If it's all your budget allows then go for a Shakespeare but get the CT and not the levelwind version. Don't be put off by negative comments unless someone can say why they consider a reel to be rubbish.

Fladen, Leeda and others produce budget priced multipliers but I've no experience at all of these.

As for the rod, I'd have to know what you've already got. If it's rung for fixed spool (around 3-4 large rings) then it's no good for multipliers. They wouldn't keep the line off the blank when retrieving with the reel on top of the rod.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Do not buy the hurricane multiplier, they are not worth the money. I bought one to compliment my estuary rod for flattie bashing, with the intention of getting another for my second rod if they were any good. It lasted no time, would have been better spending a bit more and getting a decent reel. Mines only lasted thre outings before the release buton jammed, and I did not realize that they do not have the free spool click facility.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
yeah i have a penn 525 gs reel and it is as sweet as anything, i actually promoted it to first reel above my supermag (could be because the mag is broken lol)

it is a very good reel, you can easily change how fast it is by adding/removing brake blocks and they are solid reels.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice and when ive saved up il probally go for the penn

my rods a contender beachcaster (shakespear)

will i need a new rod?

arch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts