World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got a Mercury 25 hp 2stroke i have a problem trying to figure out the remotes for the engine, me previous outboard had a single lever remote that was lever in the up position for neutral and then push forward to put in gear and throttle.

The remotes for the Mercury are a bit different, lever in up position and the fly wheel is locked and pull start wont opereate, if i push the lever forward i can use the pull start and start the engine but it is in gear ( prop is turning) there is also a "throttle only" button at the centre of the lever and a trigger at the top handle of the lever.

Any ideas on what variation i use to start the outboard in neutral????

105_0362_zpsde33216d.jpg

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
It should be a neutral only start - something is wrong somewhere - if you take the cables off the engine and operate the gear lever by hand, what happens then? - if it's OK, probably a cable adjustment or something wrong in the control box, if you still have the problem you have isolated it to being something wrong in the engine itself.

Note that a prop will turn slowly when an engine is running in neutral - if it speeds up rapidly when you open the throttle, then it is in gear - probably doesn't need saying, but make sure there are no children or pets anywhere near if you're running the engine in gear when on muffs

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Cant quite make out the markings on the photo of your remote, on some of them you push in the button in the centre to allow you to run the engine at higher revs without it being in gear, had that feature on all my outboard boats and have it on the bigger boat also. I'd say that is what you have marked as "throttle only" and it should work the throttle cable but not the gear linkage one.

The basic configuration should be up for neutral forward for forward and back for reverse (probably stating the bleedin obvious) if yours remote isn't set up right to the engine I'd guess that is the likeliest problem, as the Clink has also mentioned.

Try pushing in the "throttle only" button as you move the main lever forward and backwards, it should let the engine rev with no power to the prop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts