World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Removal Of Boat From Water

613 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Salar 
#1 ·
I am taking a inboard diesel engined boat out of the water and on to a trailer for transportation.what are the do,s and dont,s, where the engine is concerned.
e.g - what needs doing to the engine before and after?
sorry for my ignorance.

regards,
gowie

#2 ·
There is nothing specific to the engine as far as I am aware - mine is craned out regularly. As the weight of the engine is on bearers in the hull, you have to make sure the hull is adequately supported by the trailer, but that is to do with the boat rather than the engine. Never ever run the engine or even turn it over while out of the water unless connected with a hose, your water impeller will disintegrate in seconds. If you have an external speedo impeller, make sure the lift strops don't damage it, and when you put the boat back in make sure all bungs and seacocks are closed - other than that there is nothing more really!

G
#3 ·
Gowie

If the boat is shaft drive you will need to bleed or grease the deep sea seal (Stuffing box)when she goes back in.

This is the rubber gasket that the shaft pokes through as it enters the hull and goes on in to the gear box.
This seal will need either:

1) If it is water lubricated, bleeding. This is done by squeezing it fairly hard until a drip of water comes through. This little drip of water is normal and needed to lubricate the shaft and gasket.

2) If it is grease lubricated then it will need a finger of grease around the lip.
Again, you will need to squeeze it hard to break the seal and get the grease in.

Once she is in the water, have a good hunt around to make sure everything is water tight and as it should be before firing up the engine and driving her out of the slings.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.