World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically over the winter im thinking about removing the rear bench seats and fitting a new false floor to give more deck space, will then fit two pedistals and swivel seats.

My question is will it be ok to just cut the old ones out? They are hollow.

Will it lose any strength in the structure?

here is a picture of the seats id like to remove

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not sure about the strengthening, so will let someone who knows the baot answer that.

However, think long and hard before fitting two pedestal seats. If you are trying to gain deckspace this could have the adverse effect. I have one fitted on my 15ft Shetland and to be honest it gets in the way sometimes. Maybe fit one first and see how much space you have and go fishing a few times, that way you will not waste the cash on a second if its not needed.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Most boats that have 'bare' single skin sides have a strengthening strut or two half way down the cockpit. Another consideration - are the seats sealed - i.e. are they there to provide buoyancy should the boat get swamped?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most boats that have 'bare' single skin sides have a strengthening strut or two half way down the cockpit. Another consideration - are the seats sealed - i.e. are they there to provide buoyancy should the boat get swamped?
I have no idea, all that i can tell you is they are hollow, witha couple of draining bungs on both.

I have seen a couple of maylands with out them in?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
ive got a 15ft pilot dory and i revoved the back bench seats and put in 2 pedestals. they do take up abit of room but alot more comfort. my bench seats wernt sealed they were used as storage i think. so they wernt bouyancy tanks, they might of been once but the bloke who had it before me cut out the tops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts