World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have ordered some new decals for the side of my warrior, the ones I have ordered are in a different font. The old ones came off really easy and all old sticky stuff but I can't get the gel coat back to white. I have tried T cut, polish, fine cutting compound ect but it still looks like the sticker is still there but in yellow !!!!!
Any ideas

Attachments

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
There is no option but to wait - the sun will eventually turn it back white - oxalic acid, fine sanding and machine polishing does help to some degree.

For some reason white gel when covered with a sticker goes yellow - I read why it happened once but can't remember what it was now, but when the UV light gets back on to the yellow it slowly goes back to the original colour.

After about 6 months in the open it will pretty much have disappeared - that's been my experience anyway - a previous owner of my boat applied the name in huge block letters on the cabin sides - I wanted something rather more subtle, so removed the stickers it came with. If you really look now you can see where they were but you have to catch the light just right - if you never knew you'd would never see it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Use a wet solvent, carpet cleaners use it for cleaning sticky residue from carpets, or go to your local van signage company they will have a similar product they use to get the same off vehicles

·
Registered
157 Posts
Use a wet solvent, carpet cleaners use it for cleaning sticky residue from carpets, or go to your local van signage company they will have a similar product they use to get the same off vehicles
Sorry just looked at the picture, looks like bleaching, looks like the adhesives from the decals have altered the gell finish , not sure you will get that out, you could always have a white stripe decal made with the name printed on the white, should cover it all and be less hassle

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
As a sign maker it's a common problem I have on ALL colours of vehicles / boats etc.

The sun can't get at the paint / gel under the decal so it stays the original colour, the vinyl adhesive has no affect on the paint at all, but the sun will bleach and the weather will weather, thus the vinyl has actually protected the paint underneath, preventing UV damage and weathering.

Nothing much you can do about it n a gel coat to my knowledge, I have occasionally had to put a shaped backing to cover the old 'ghosting' and then the new decal on top.

Hugh

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry said it backwards, bleaching of the gel coat that is visible, is what I meant, vinyl the entire boat except where the decal was, leave in the sun a few years and when you take off, ....... Hey presto, hehe, or you could just put the backing vinyl on ,,,

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the new decals from warrior so they should go straight back on.
Should I polish the hull before or after the decals go back on ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't polish, wipe over with a car solvent or a little thinners or tacky cloths, this will remove any residue and leave a clean surface for the vinyl to adhere to

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much, thinking about it that makes sense. I have new stripes, Warrior 165 and kingfisher decals to go on. Should look good when it's finished. Will post some photos when done.
Dave

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Just got the new decals from warrior so they should go straight back on.
Should I polish the hull before or after the decals go back on ?
Before - you can't do it properly after...

I would go over the yellow with oxalic acid (I use Y-10 gel - available from most chandlers), wet sand with 1200 paper, then machine polish - this will minimise the evidence of where the old stickers were, then apply the new stickers - if you do it properly the polishing will leave a perfectly clean surface for the new stickers to adhere to - you can't properly machine polish over stickers as it will damage them (you can do it very very lightly once the new stickers have properly cured and hardened) - then wax after applying the new stickers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts