World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just a quick report from yesterday.

My brother and I went to rest at for about 6:30. We started fishing and hit a few small codling almost immediately.

Then the dogs came in, and boy did they come in every cast we were having bites. Then a huge slack liner on my rod and I struck in to some weight which was pulling me all over the place, then before I saw what it was It was lost.
Re baited with some more crab and the same thing happened. Massive slack liner and weight once I struck. The only difference being, I brought this one to the base of the rocks and realised, I had caught my first ever smooth hound, a Starry one a presume as it had white spots on its back and a huge mouth!!

Unfortunately I was not able to pull it up the side of the rocks as it bit through the snood.

How does everybody else land these from the rocks? Do you use drop nets? What BS snoods do you use?

Enjoyed my day, just wish I could photo my heaviest shore fish!

Jon

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nice 1 , time to start looking for crab then. never caught a hound

steve

·
Premium Member
38,495 Posts
25lb snood is all you need on a good landing area, beach etc. The line probably broke due to weight as they have a big mouth but no teeth, Aussies call them gummy sharks :laugh:

That's the first I have heard of this year well done :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
There's a very high possibility that the fish you had was spurdogs rather than smooth hounds - this time last year loads came right up to shallow water and they love crab as much as smooth hounds do.

If it was a smooth hound normally 40lb snoods will allow you to lift them but if it was a spur - short of using wire or 100lb+ mono you're probably going to struggle to land them off the shore without net or somewhere you can beach it.

Nice to hear someones getting out and getting a few fish!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sounds like you had an exciting session there....nice to see some fish that put a real bend in the rod around...smoothound or spur...Porthcawl Bassman said there was a hound caught at porthcawl so maybe was a hound...

·
Sole Man!
1,653 Posts
Mike, are you thinking what i'm thinking..................

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Myself Kyle and Matt fished Sker today....6 rods out with prime peeler at our usual hound spots and nothing but dogs and codling....couple more weeks before we try again.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks for the info Richy. shame the hounds did not come out to play......looks like it will be rays that will be the target then ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts