World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished a couple of marks near to Portlethen last night (12th Nov). First trip in over two years - Got there a bit early and the mark I wanted to fish was still covered so headed south to the higher rocks caught 1 fish just around 2 pounds put it back, by this time the tide had dropped so i moved back round to where I wanted to be and what a place it was. I had 4 fish biggest just over 4lb, my mate had 5 fish with his biggest 4.5lb. Fishing was amazing the whole way down the tide we had bite after bite and not just the little plucks, there were times when the rod was wrenched from the rest. Fishing really took off about an hour before low water, unfortunately the level of water was so low that the tops of the kelp beds were exposed making it very hard to land any fish. We both agreed that we landed only a quarter of what we actualy hooked and I lost one of good size just at my feet- but thats fishing - oh and it bloody snowed all night which made the rocks really slippery. Bait was just lug and crab - one thing i did notice was the amount of fish that had small edible peelers in their mouths and stomachs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi craig i was there yesterday just left of the house the rocks were very slippy we all fell getting down to the gully bit my mate caught 1 pollock 2 coalfish and a flatfish nothing big my other mate caught a small codling i had a vicious bite on the rod but nothing. :angry: So what bit do you fish?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to tell you the exact mark because most of the fish are resident until later in the year. There are a few marks further south to where you were. A mixture of high and low water marks. I spent a long time fishing that area - exploring all along the reefs. I have had fish to over 8lb in the summer from the bay which is about 10 mins walk from the car. You can see the Downies from the bay it faces the two humps mark that was featured in Sea Angler some time back if that helps. This fishes best from about half tide up. Quite shallow and there is a reef that runs from the right hand side of the island. Casting over this reef puts you into deeper kelp filled holes. Or if you feel fit you can walk right round the edge and cast into the same spot from the rocks around the corner. Although you know what the rocks are like here, personally i just whack it over the reef and crank like hell when u get one. The whole area is hard to get to but it is the most consistant fishing i have found - hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Craig

I have wandered up and down the area between Portlethen and Downies, and although some parts look very fishy, I have never actually found anywhere safe enough to set up and fish.

As I fish on my own, I tend to stay in the safer areas where I am unlikely to fall in, or get cut off by the tide.

Are you saying that if I look again, I will find some spots - or is it only recomended to fish with a buddy in the marks you reference?

Appreciate you help if you can comment.

Steve

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't recommend fishing alone, the marks I mentioned before are quite tricky to get to and usually really slippery. The one I like best is a big rock that juts out into open water. Real care has to be taken not to get cut off by the incoming tide. The climb down looks worse than it actually is but you must remember the way back up. I was there a few weeks ago - we started in daylight and fished into darkness. When it was time to pack up I couldnt find the path up so I took an alternative route. Took me ages and it was wet and muddy, quite scarey but it turned out i was a few metres from the path. I will be back up there before the year is out, maybe see you up there and I will point out the marks. I park at the houses on the right hand side at the bottom of the hill in old Portlethen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts