World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to polish up older tobys?
as in the silver and bronze non-painted type.

im guessing they are made of plated copper, plain copper and enameled. :g:

cheers, al

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have done that with some very old Abu ones. Changed the split rings and treble hook. Polished the Toby with T Cut (for cars) or something like Silvo (both mild abrasive polishes. I think the ones I did were made of brass, not plated. There was originally a strip of orange paint down one side and that disappears, but could be replaced with some holographic tape. The other side was embossed/engraved with a fish scale pattern.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
You can get 'prismatic' tape from most tackle shops. That is handy to restore old spinners.
Reflective sign making plastic (the type Crazyplums sells for rid tips) is also good. Sticks to most things and comes in various colours.

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers lads!

i fancy adding some of the older style abu's to the collection, as i remember them being fantastic catchers as a kid :)

with all the new stuff floating around its easy to forget the toby's, krills, rockets ect.

deadly on the right day and time ;)

cheers, al

managed to find the Krill's (even red's) for £1.88, Toby's (28g) £3.51, Kosters (28g) £2.68 and rockets (20g) at £3.15, even the old c-bars.

the kosters go up to 60g.

postage from 90p up.

good prices? looks good to me, and all paterns, colors! i seen second hand silver toby's selling on flea-bay for 4.99 staring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts