World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Am amazed by what I read in these posts!! I grew up in Wallasey and fished Mersey 60s till mid 70s. How things have changed!!

Harrison Drive: Dabs and Flounders if you were lucky.
Perch Rock: Eels.
New Brighton Pier: Dabs and Whiting.
Vale Park: Eels. We used to catch them and release into pond in Vale Park. Sometimes it would be full of them and Park Staff used to go mad!!! :eek:).
Everywhere: Mersey Goldfish. :rolleyes:

Would seem that the water quality has improved enough for proper fishing nowadays.

Have lived in East Cumbria for the last 25 years but recently decided to try sea fishing again. Cumbrian Coast and S/W Scotland. Have bought myself and better half a couple of cheap beachcasting setups (She is a Nottingham lass so only has coarse fishing experience as a whippersnapper). If you see a couple of middle aged hooligans hurling 6oz leads in every direction but the sea over the next few months, please be gentle with us!!!

SteveT :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to WSF mate.
More NW folk....good to see.
Thers a few of us that go up to WhiteHaven and St. Bees si if you ever fancy a meet up ,,PM. me and we`ll sort someat out.
All ther best bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Strange post Steve.....the Mersey fished it`s knackers off for whiting n cod during the 60`s and 70`s.....used to be a lot of **** in the water on the bigger tides,but the fishing was always superb.
Since the water treatment plant has been running,the river (especially around the mouth)) has got a lot cleaner,which is why the likes of dogs/rays/hounds/mack/edible crabs/bass/sole are showing more each year,and moving further up the river.
The flounder fishing off the Alex Wall used to be fantastic,but is nothing like that nowadays,and pouting used to be plentiful,but only odd ones show now....they obviously prefer the sh*t ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts