World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a way of returning ling caught from deep water?

They tend to blow their swim bladders either through the mouth or gills in my experience, and can't be returned alive as they can't swim back down.

I've punctured the swim bladder in the past though I don't think it would help much. It was just the only thing I could think of. :confused:

We catch a few while fishing for cod, though don't target them.

I was thinking along the lines of putting one in a sort of weighted creel, which when hitting the bottom would open to allow the ling to escape having had its swim bladder re-pressurised. Any thoughts?

Wildercard

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Wildercard

Good topic. We had the same problem catching them on a mid channel trip. We caught more than we needed but returning them was not easy. The swim bladder comes out of the mouth like a speech balloon with the decrease in pressure. We managed to get some down by deflting them, I just hope they survived.

Regards
Osprey

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would guess that there are more factors to be taken into account such as species and method of capture. I've caught fish like pollack from deep water on light tackle and it seems that playing them up slowly allows them to adjust better. I'm sure someone out there knows far more than me, let's here from you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ling makes very good eating and sells for over £7 per lb. If the swim bladder is blown its as good as dead so take it home. You need to gut it as normal and then leave it in something like a spare fridge over night to get the amonia out. Apparently it's very good salted.

Bob

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi Stronsay

Does the ammonia thing apply with any other fish? :confused:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm sue Blueskip will have something to say on this - thornback rays excrete urine through their skin which is why they taste of ammonia if they are not prepared properly ie skinned asap and soaked in water or milk preferably overnight or even longer-one of the few fish that tastes better not fresh.

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The link left by lewisteh made for depressing reading and I'm sure it would be true of ling - though not convinced about other fish such as thornback rays. I believe these fish are sometimes caught from depths of 600ft or more, then tagged and released. Are these fish also doomed, or is there evidence of the tagged fish being re-caught?

The ling does make a good eating fish - but what about the fish under the minimum 28 inch size limit, put back to almost certain death. Also undersize cod whiting etc..

Wildercard.

·
Registered
67 Posts

They tend to blow their swim bladders either through the mouth or gills in my experience, and can't be returned alive as they can't swim back down.

I've punctured the swim bladder in the past though I don't think it would help much. It was just the only thing I could think of. :confused:

I was thinking along the lines of putting one in a sort of weighted creel, which when hitting the bottom would open to allow the ling to escape having had its swim bladder re-pressurised. Any thoughts?

Wildercard
Sorry mate, but returning ling caught in deep water, whether you pierce swim bladder or not results in a slow death to the fish by drowning or being slowly eaten by seagulls! :(

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Family,freinds,neighbours or local OAP's will like a bit of free fresh fish !

If they don't fancy ling skin it and say it's cod !;)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Ling makes very good eating and sells for over £7 per lb. If the swim bladder is blown its as good as dead so take it home. You need to gut it as normal and then leave it in something like a spare fridge over night to get the amonia out. Apparently it's very good salted.

Bob
Ling is very good eating so don't waste it. I've never noticed a problem with ammonia though.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Wildercard
Yes - there is a device used that means you don't have to pierce the fish to deflate, I had a look around for devices:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/foru...-gadget-for-bathymetry-affected-fish.4115459/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts