World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few posts over the last week that say dogfish will often beach themselves after they've been released. Does anyone have any tips for reducing the chances of this happening - other than not catching any in the first place?

Thanks.

J.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I find they usually curl up in a ball after a poke and a prod and I then give them a gentle throw back about 10 ft out. In to the sea not up the beach like some morons do :)

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
I've seen a few posts over the last week that say dogfish will often beach themselves after they've been released. Does anyone have any tips for reducing the chances of this happening - other than not catching any in the first place?

Thanks.

J.
i normaly wear boots and waterproof bottoms i just wade out up to 2ft deep and hold them in the water until they swim of ,i did use to put them in at the waters edge gone back to rebait 5min later they was back on the waters edge i know some people hate catching them if it wasnt for them on some days we would blank

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't get why some hate them. Surely they are part of the food chain for other fish at every stage of their doggy life. We all moan about the decline in species and blanking. Taking a valuable food source out of the sea isn't going to help one bit.
I'm happy to catch anything and will put it back safely if I don't want it for my tea.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Mate if you can then what I do is hold them gently by the tail in the water - normally they give a bit of a kick after a few seconds and off they go.
Don't chuck them any distance as this will stun fish imo - think what it is like if you get a dive wrong from the 5m board and you will know what I mean.
Occasionally the odd one will beach themselves - this is due to the fish being damaged unfortunately I reckon which happens - just one of those things - I normally try again - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Being blinded by a headlamp doesn't help either...

I've had a few beach themselves after releasing, put it down to disorientation, blindness and lack of oxygen in the blood.

I just look out for them and make sure they swim off in the right direction.

G

·
depends on the sea condition for me.. If it's safe I take them to, and release them in the water, In heavier sea conditions, unfortunately I give them a small throw, not ideal but I try my best to get them back safely, conditions permitting!

·
Registered
946 Posts
i think the way they land when they are gently lobed in. they seem to shoot of in witch ever direction they are facing if its towards the beach then they end up back on the shore.much better to walk out a few steps if possible and place them in facing out to see. some times they will beach them selves no mater what you do. i've seen dogies that had not been caught swim ahead of the tide in to the gully's only a foot deep swimming with their nose out of the water. we've witnessed this a few times on calm nights you can hear them slapping on the surface as the water gets shallower.and you can see there eyes in the lamp. weirdly i have walked right up to them and picked them up with out them making any attempt to swim away. it could possibly be they are just a bit dense. either way they deserve to be returned if they are not to be eaten not killed and dumped. that is disgusting as any real fisherman knows.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Jusk nail them by the head to a post, rip their skin off, chop them up and cook them, this definatley stops them swimming back up the beach!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts