World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review can be about fishing in balaclavas in general as opposed to a certain brand,

Last winter I was left with a bit of problem, I hate wearing hats, I purchased a drennan fleecy thing a few years ago but although it was warm it left me with almost no hearing when worn over the ears & it made me feel quite uncomfortable when fishing to the point where I was constantly turning round to see if anyone was behind me or trying to talk,

I purchased a balaclava online just to trial it really, it took me a few occasions before I plucked up the nerve to actually put it on lol, it just got so cold I thought sod this I'm putting it on, it was dark anyway....... after a bit of moving it about my face I got the holes aligned & the first thing that hit me was my hearing was virtually unaffected & I was very comfortable & also warm,

This ones made from acrylic, its quite thick & the fabric is doubled over so its very toasty, although you can still hear fine whilst wearing it one of the things that struck me was how effective it was at blocking out the wind! its nice & long too so it goes right down the neck,

If I had to be picky I would say the mouth hole is too low down, I'm quite partial to a roll up when I'm fishing & I found that I had to pull it all up a bit so I could smoke comfortably but that made my vision slightly restricted........ maybe I've got a weird shaped face or something,

PRO'S: warm, comfortable, empowering, massive reduction in "have you caught anything yet?" cheap, easily available.

CON'S: small possibility of sparking a terror alert, not going to suit every face shape,

SUMMARY: joking aside I can honestly say this has had a huge impact on my winter fishing, you can get these things online for literally a few quid & out of all the money I've spent on fishing gear this item has probably had the biggest impact! it takes those icy cold nights & makes them completely doable, give them a try you might like it, they are both dangerous & humorous........like a crocodile riding a bike,

that's eel slime dashed across my jacket by the way......honestly:thumbs:

hope you enjoy the review, Rob.........

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is that the new "sinn fein" look :laugh:
I used to have to wear one of those when i worked in a freezer warehouse, as you said they are very warm but don't worry about the fitting issues, unless you have a fat face they are unlikely to fit perfectly.
You can also buy the ski type that doesn't cover your nose and mouth :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im sure its warm to wear but I usually take some grub when I go fishing. A sausage roll is probably just about do-able but a ham roll would be impossible........
haha yep that could be an issue, I never really eat when I'm fishing so hadn't noticed, cold be a bit messy:yucky:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another good review Rob,well done,god,i sound like a school teacher!!!!!
cheers alan, I like reviewing stuff, its good fun when I get a spare moment & hopefully its helpful to some:thumbs:

·
Registered
993 Posts
lol nice review mate and epic pic...i think i'll be sticking to my thinsulate hat and hoodies though.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
ive used one until i loss it lol, but similar situation hate hats and all sorts. ended uyp getting one of them for 2.50£ so value for money excellent, used it one season and to be honest apart from looking like a terrorist/ guys on crimewatch, it does what it says esp when its windy and freeeeeeeeezin, and it dont stop me from smoking :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I will get one of these perfect for
Fishing why do people think I would want to talk to them all night I'm there to fish!!! Not for their entertainment
This should keep them away lol

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=18581
lol do it mate that's a serious looking bit of insulation,

it amuses me that balaclavas have such stigma attached to them when essentially they are designed for warmth & comfort, maybe if I attach a bobble to the top of mine it'll stop people thinking I'm a rapist:g:

I think more anglers should wear them:yeah:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Best bit of kit I ever bought was a neck fleece, these can be pulled up so just your eyes are free, just pop it down when I want a cuppa, worn with a thermal hat just as good as a balaclava plus you don't look like a thug

·
Registered
641 Posts
Best bit of kit I ever bought was a neck fleece, these can be pulled up so just your eyes are free, just pop it down when I want a cuppa, worn with a thermal hat just as good as a balaclava plus you don't look like a thug
You want too look like a thug around this way - That way people leave you alone and don't try looking at all the cod you have caught!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts