Votes: 15 39.5%
  • no

Votes: 23 60.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know , and reading from the past stories the Firth of Clyde use to be a mega destination for big cod fishing . 50 years later on we Central Scotland Kayak Anglers decided to have a go , kayak fishing and exploring . A really short drive from the big city Glasgow , Glen , Paul and myself are about to launch a mini species attack .
Prior to the trip we managed a few ragworms , digging here and there , not many but just enough to keep us going .
Light tackle ready , little hooks and jig rubber lures ready we paddled towards , nothing really far . The weather is cool , no wind , overcast with rain threatening , total grey Scottish outlook .
My today's plan is to add some fish species to my ever growing list . The tide is light and the fishing is about to begin . In 30 ft of water Paul's fish finder is showing massive activity .
The fun begin with a succession of catches , going on all day . Little hook , little fish but the variety is great .
haddock then colley , dab and cod , poorcod too , then whitting and goldsinny wrasse , Already 7 species without even trying .
I then fancied the small fox spikey shad and smeared it with some dynamix Wand . A few cast later a small pollock swallowed the lure .
Getting broke twice on the light gear I knew something bigger was lurking below .
Hooking a small piece of ragworm on a small jig head was about to produce the good .The rod bent double and I knew I was into a good wrasse . I got the net ready for the ballan wrasse , a good specimen .
Glen was once again into some proper sport . Playing a soft prawn his rod went nearly over the side . I thought something was going to break . Big splash about ,cool action to watch and then Glen lifted up a Clyde pollock that size , at least a 4 pounder ! To say the least a massive surprise .
Fishing the clyde estuary is fun . The fish are there and if you decided to go light , go have some fun ! But do go light !
Having said that the Clyde is not dead , it just need a small improvement , like stopping the trawlers harvesting whatever is left , making it a great place to fish again with rods and lines .
Revive the Clyde .
clyde 3 (1 of 1).jpg
clyde 4 (1 of 1).jpg
clyde 9 (1 of 1).jpg
clyde 11 (1 of 1).jpg
clyde 14 (1 of 1).jpg
clyde 16 (1 of 1).jpg
clyde 6 (1 of 1).jpg

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Great report and video as usual Nicolas. Thanks for sharing your latest session.
The Clyde is not dead if you fish the structures where the trawlers can't operate. We've had double figure pollack this year and some decent wrasse, but no success with sizeable cod and haddock. There have been small fish in the Clyde for many years but they seem to leave before they reach a decent size. My own opinion is that they are either taken as bycatch, or emigrate in search of feeding in other areas where the sea bed is less barren due to trawling pressure. It's great to see so many wee haddock, let's hope they do dodge the trawlers and get big enough to share a plate with some chips. (Frites to you:rolleyes:)
Revive the Clyde click HERE.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Some nice fish for you lads most of us In the area know there are fish, but very small the ones you picked up are probably out with the casting range of the shore going by your photos please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great report and video as usual Nicolas. Thanks for sharing your latest session.
The Clyde is not dead if you fish the structures where the trawlers can't operate. We've had double figure pollack this year and some decent wrasse, but no success with sizeable cod and haddock. There have been small fish in the Clyde for many years but they seem to leave before they reach a decent size. My own opinion is that they are either taken as bycatch, or emigrate in search of feeding in other areas where the sea bed is less barren due to trawling pressure. It's great to see so many wee haddock, let's hope they do dodge the trawlers and get big enough to share a plate with some chips. (Frites to you:rolleyes:)
Revive the Clyde is HERE.
This is only tiny pockets of fish the clyde is still a shadow of its former self with may fish have stunted growth due to over fishing . but if you show everybody on the world wide web where you are catching the fish then its human nature to descend on the area shown in the video this is no where near revive the clyde .

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is only tiny pockets of fish the clyde is still a shadow of its former self with may fish have stunted growth due to over fishing . but if you show everybody on the world wide web where you are catching the fish then its human nature to descend on the area shown in the video this is no where near revive the clyde .[/QU
This is only tiny pockets of fish the clyde is still a shadow of its former self with may fish have stunted growth due to over fishing . but if you show everybody on the world wide web where you are catching the fish then its human nature to descend on the area shown in the video this is no where near revive the clyde .
This area is unfishable from the shore with no access whatsoever . Fishing there on a boat would also be a waste of time with much better area further afield .Don't think 1000 of people would descend on the Clyde . Good luck if they do with no access to that spot .

·
Registered
219 Posts
With the Clyde on my doorstep its where I started and aside from the usual Clyde bags (pollack, dab, codling, gurnard, mackerel, wrasse) its somewhere I will go for the usual suspects although i generally accept that its smaller species. Theres plenty of Conger which is something not mentioned above, but i always hear people going on about the amount of Cod that was once available. Sadly I get the impression that is long gone. Mackerel is in now which is where you will see people erring towards, shoals upon shoals of them in over the last two days taking anything remotely shiny.

I had a fair few good ones last night on what must be the oldest and rustiest spinner I had in my box as feathers weren't really working. Then the guy i was with had sixshot on a line of six feathers. Ill be honest I see it as a great place to get people involved into the sport such as my daughter, but for the larger species obviously people go further afield.

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
Was a great day out, Good company and loads of activity..... I had a fair few Pollock around the Lb mark too......

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great fun Paolo !
wheres this nonsense coming from is the Glasgow angling center trying to drum up some campaign with this . are they using there staff who may be sponsored to go and film a couple of fish incidentally it may be the same staff who get first dibs at fishing tackle ie when they drop the price of fishing tackle only for the staff not the punters to buy it first.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
wheres this nonsense coming from is the Glasgow angling center trying to drum up some campaign with this . are they using there staff who may be sponsored to go and film a couple of fish incidentally it may be the same staff who get first dibs at fishing tackle ie when they drop the price of fishing tackle only for the staff not the punters to buy it first.
30bob, I think you are way off the mark with your post. Nicolas is one of the most appreciated contributors to the Scottish section of WSF. He has put excellent reports on here of many of his fishing trips to places that I have thought of trying, but never really bothered. He posts videos of all his trips, whether they produce good fish or not, and rarely mentions the provenance of his tackle. Please don't pi55 him off:eek: His contributions would be sorely missed.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
As we all know , and reading from the past stories the Firth of Clyde use to be a mega destination for big cod fishing . 50 years later on we Central Scotland Kayak Anglers decided to have a go , kayak fishing and exploring . A really short drive from the big city Glasgow , Glen , Paul and myself are about to launch a mini species attack .
Prior to the trip we managed a few ragworms , digging here and there , not many but just enough to keep us going .
Light tackle ready , little hooks and jig rubber lures ready we paddled towards , nothing really far . The weather is cool , no wind , overcast with rain threatening , total grey Scottish outlook .
My today's plan is to add some fish species to my ever growing list . The tide is light and the fishing is about to begin . In 30 ft of water Paul's fish finder is showing massive activity .
The fun begin with a succession of catches , going on all day . Little hook , little fish but the variety is great .
haddock then colley , dab and cod , poorcod too , then whitting and goldsinny wrasse , Already 7 species without even trying .
I then fancied the small fox spikey shad and smeared it with some dynamix Wand . A few cast later a small pollock swallowed the lure .
Getting broke twice on the light gear I knew something bigger was lurking below .
Hooking a small piece of ragworm on a small jig head was about to produce the good .The rod bent double and I knew I was into a good wrasse . I got the net ready for the ballan wrasse , a good specimen .
Glen was once again into some proper sport . Playing a soft prawn his rod went nearly over the side . I thought something was going to break . Big splash about ,cool action to watch and then Glen lifted up a Clyde pollock that size , at least a 4 pounder ! To say the least a massive surprise .
Fishing the clyde estuary is fun . The fish are there and if you decided to go light , go have some fun ! But do go light !
Having said that the Clyde is not dead , it just need a small improvement , like stopping the trawlers harvesting whatever is left , making it a great place to fish again with rods and lines .
Revive the Clyde . View attachment 494170 View attachment 494178 View attachment 494194 View attachment 494202 View attachment 494210 View attachment 494218 View attachment 494226
Great readen m8 big well done on the fish and report. Tight lines

·
Registered
159 Posts
30bob, I think you are way off the mark with your post. Nicolas is one of the most appreciated contributors to the Scottish section of WSF. He has put excellent reports on here of many of his fishing trips to places that I have thought of trying, but never really bothered. He posts videos of all his trips, whether they produce good fish or not, and rarely mentions the provenance of his tackle. Please don't pi55 him off:eek: His contributions would be sorely missed.
ok ok point taken nothing against the guy .

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every week I try to get out on the kayak ,fishing and exploring . All those journeys takes me to many different places across Scotland , salt and fresh . I enjoy helping people trying to catch a fish . Fishing is an interesting pastime , it's clean and it brings people close to nature .God I do not get sponsored , A basic kit suits me fine ! I have no interest of catching a big fish whatsoever . I enjoy good friend company and a little weekly exercise do me good . I could have kept all this to myself , however I have decided to share my journey to the big web world .Likely so I do enjoy a good read from the guys out on here and I thank you for sharing .Trust me there is a lot of water out there to explore and I shall keep my journey going as long as I can . I do love fishing .

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
Yes I do work in the GAC with Nic, This outing is a rarity due to mine and Nic's days off not coinciding. Just so happens I was off this week so was able to join him.
Nothing to do with the GAC apart from the fact that we both work there.......
I was actually wanting to go to the East Coast...... Due to the fact that I personally didn't think we'd catch much in the Clyde......

Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
It all depends on what you call dead!

A typical days boat fishing on the clyde (Turnberry area) for me would be
Plenty of mackerel
Pollock upto 4lb
Lots of coalfish upto 2lb
small cod
Bottom fishing is pointless 0

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes I do work in the GAC with Nic, This outing is a rarity due to mine and Nic's days off not coinciding. Just so happens I was off this week so was able to join him.
Nothing to do with the GAC apart from the fact that we both work there.......
I was actually wanting to go to the East Coast...... Due to the fact that I personally didn't think we'd catch much in the Clyde......

Paul
Apologies to all .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts