World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the conditions never quite right over a weekend, I decided I would have to have a go before work one morning - so this morning it was with wind, weather and tide perfect for this spot I wanted to try. Got out of bed at 2am and almost changed my mind, thinking 2 hours of fishing isn't really worth the 60 mile drive down to the coast. I still had to collect the live prawns I intended to use for bait too. After 10 minutes of sitting around sleepily I decided that the decision was already made the night before and started rushing to get ready, but still left much later than intended.

Got to the coast and hurriedly went to get some prawns. Luckily the spot I chose was stocked well and within a few minutes I had more than enough to feed the bass. Drove to the spot, set up my rods and decided to try a plug or two before I cast out the float. Got nothing on the plug, but it might have been a bit early with the sky just lighting up a little. I couldn't have picked a better morning, it felt perfect...

The surface activity soon started to show with many mullet around, but I forgot the bread in the car. Bugger I thought, I'm here to catch bass and not going back for the bread. Some really big mullet swam past and I was tempted more than once to go fetch the bread, but eventually a small schoolie took the prawn and next cast a sizeable one too.

Eager to catch something on the plug, I grabbed the other rod but after an unproductive 15 minutes went back to the prawn rod. The float remained quiet, while mullet were breaking the surface all over the place.

Last cast I thought at 6:30, as I had to be back home at 8 to get ready for work. Left it out for a while and was considering reeling it in but just then I saw a big fin break near the other bank of the river - not a mullet that's for sure! Just a few minutes longer... I was once again distracted by a huge mullet and suddenly felt the line tighten; the semi circle did its job well. Out came this plump beauty of 6lb!

And here I am, back in the office. I need a holiday!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Fine reward for your efforts :clap3:

Those mullet can be a real tease when you're fishing for something else!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well done Jaccil, you certainly deserve that after your efforts, looks like a very nice fish. Me and my brother have just got back from the marina and had 4 schoolies between us on the prawn, nothing amazing but its good to know the live prawns are still working.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i was fly fishing yesterday over a v shallow, sandy mark. fish breaking the surface everywhere but now you have mentioned mullet many times...no wonder i got no takes on the sandeel patterns...pretty sure they were'nt mullet but... hmm!

nice looking fish there. shame no takes on the plugs but seems the prawns more than make up for it! nice 1

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Robin, are you back yet? It's been a month since your last diary entry!

I'm heading down to the coast right now to grab some prawns and have a night session float fishing live prawn on the river (and grab a few crabs while I'm at it). Then I'll probably chuck the crabs and some maddies from the beach before first light, and head back for another low tide session before the wind starts blowing.

I take it the sea is pretty dirty with the conditions of the past week. Good for some sole? Got no king rag or blacks, but maybe maddies will do!

Cheers,
Jacques

1 - 11 of 11 Posts