World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, after searching the forum last week, I decided on Ullapool for a couple of days pollock fishing with my mate Dan the Man and Belle the Dog.

Had a few days off, checked the weather...looked bad, but what the heck!

Set off from Falkirk at 8.30am Tuesday. After a couple of stops for the supplies(beer, ****, cigars, beans lol), we finally arrived around 2pm.

We didn't take time to set up the tents as the fishing looked too good. A few others already there before us were reeling them in. So we quickly got the rods up and and down we went.

Must have been bite after bite every cast. Nothing big but definately beats casting for hours on end with no bites. We were using firetail worms, illuminous sand eels, wedges and small shrimp traces. Everything was taken with a forceful bite....excellent fun. Was mostly pollock, but a few small codling and ling. No mackies to be seen.

After a few hours we set up camp, had our dinner(beans'n'sausage) and back down again. High tide by this time, sun starting to set. This was it we thought. The biggies are coming!...Zilch!..Hee Haw!..NOTHIN!
Not even a pook with a lure...tried mackie, herring, squid, dog food..lol..still nowt.

Was dark now and decided to head for the beer tent to discuss tactics for the next day......it was howling outside and bucketing down. Waited till morning before going down again. Went down at 7am(high tide)..fished til around 11am.....HEE HAW!...tried everything.

Went to Ullapool for lunch.(lovely place)...then arrived back at 12.30pm...started fishing around 2pm(same time as day before remember).....straight into fish....unbelievable...a few decent sizes and lots of little ones in between to keep us going.

After the weather the night before, we tossed a coin about 7pm to see whether to stay or go(heads we go, tails we stay)....prayed for heads but tails it was. Dan said best o 3.....finally heads wins..lol.......he wanted to go home as well....only Belle wanted to stay!!

Anway it was a good trip apart from the weather and the 5hr drive throught that rain last nite..great place for the dog and there was no rubbish lying around at all....got home at 12 to a nice cold beer.....

a few pics of the spot...only 1 fish pic as all were returned quickly or it was peeing down too much for the camera.

Though I will note for the future that it fishes best at this time of year when the tide is starting to come in. Will be returning next summer!!

Attachments

·
Specimen Hunter
3,281 Posts
so what was the state of tide you were getting the fish at?

good going, you still got some action :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
good report and it looks like it was a gr8 trip. nice pics

G

·
It's defo a nice mark to fish. So many little places to try the spinners from. Glad you had a decent time and glad that yuou'll go back to it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers guys.....recommend this spot to all fishermen.....top notch!!

had lobster pot with me as well.......but my mate Dan forgot to hold the rope when he chucked it it.......(as i presumed would happen, but he insisted)....numpty......too cold to dive in after it..lol

fish were biting from low to high tide then nothing scotty.....dunno why

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just got back from two weeks staying in Achnahaird. Wondered who the hardy souls pitching the tents were! I was fishing with my wife just down on the rocks to left hand side on Tuesday afternoon (got a few nice fish although Mrs RL took the bragging rights with a pollack of about 3lbs) chucked it about tea time just as the weather turned and the big cruise ship passed by. Will post some pics and a few reports soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi, yes i saw you and your wife down the rocks.....was not too bad until about an hour after you left......then all heavens opened up.....really cold....and too dark to fish on those rocks....didnt look too safe either for night fishing....will be back next summer though....lovely spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts