World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyones been or knows anything about the place re. boat hire etc?

Im from just round the corner myself (originally) but have never fished the place.

Any help is much appreciate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, should have said in the 1st post i used to live just round the corner,but i havent been back in the area fishing for 12-13 years so apart from the obvious long johns ill need any other reccomendations are much appreciated.

If anyone knows a number to book a boat in avance itd be smashing,looked on the inernet and nothing to be found.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hullo MS
Rib's my local fishery. It's quite scenic but the fishing is not, as trout fisheries go, exceptional. A lot of smallish rainbows predominate, not many larger fish. I've found the best flies to be buzzers, cats whiskers, and montanas/damsels later in spring. I usually end up with a CDC emerger on the top dropper and red bloodworm buzzer underneath. I cast to the rising fish when possible. It's in a valley so can be quite windy sometimes, but as it's roughly oblong, you'll always find a side with, rather than against, the wind.
It costs from £12 (1 fish kept, no time limit) to £28 (full dt, 4 fish bag). They have 5 boats for hire , but it's not a huge lake (13 acres) so a boat is not essential. They don't recommend booking. There is a pier on the north side that goes about 40 yards into the lake. There's also restaurants, tea-rooms, craft shops and a full-blown fishing tackle shop, where you buy the tickets, at the top of the valley.
Website is www.ribvalleyfishinglakes.com.

As I said, it's not spectacular, but it's available for me!
Let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the info Mark.

Im back in Blighty on the 7th of April for 3 weeks and am staying in WGC and fishing at Rib Valley seems the only half decent way to get out of the Mrs dragging me round Topshop and Dorothy Perkins every day!

I grew up around the area but i havent been back for years so if you can think of any other places for me to visit, much obliged.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi MS1000, I used to live in Sawbridgeworth, Herts and found Rib Valley to be a very good fishery. Friendly and well-run and agree that much of the fish are 2lb stockies, but on my last visit I bagged a 7lb rainbow on a black & green montana in the eastern corner in a slghtly hard-to-cast-at spot of reeds. It's very picturesque, I find and a good size to walk round on a half-day sesh. I also caught a blue, tiger and rainbow trout here all in the same afternoon!

TRY ALSO: Norton Fishery, it's in Stapleford Tawney, near Epping and is pricier and smaller but the average fish size is greater: http://www.nortonfishery.com

Rates etc on above site's link.

Chigborough, Essex, is a very good set of lakes, but further out near Maldon, Essex. Try go-fish.co.uk for others - scroll down past the coarse lakes to the fly lakes.

Tight lines and let us know how you get on!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Well good luck MS; you might be able to drag the missus along and leave her to shop at the top it you're into pine furniture, local arts and crafts and the like! Actually, on rethinking ... that's a [email protected] idea. If you seen someone there trying a out 12wt tarpon rod, that'll be me getting ready for Cuba in April! Tight lines.
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts