World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fishing the isle of Sheppey with an up and over rig but the snood refuses to free itself from the top clip. I think its because of the shallow water. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm fishing the isle of Sheppey with an up and over rig but the snood refuses to free itself from the top clip. I think its because of the shallow water. Any suggestions?
Are you using an SRT spring under the clip? Most of the beaches I fish are pretty shallow, and the SRT spring makes all the difference. Up and over is my favourite rig.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using an SRT spring under the clip? Most of the beaches I fish are pretty shallow, and the SRT spring makes all the difference. Up and over is my favourite rig.
No I'm not. I have been using just a Gemini clip upside down so the snood hangs over, back down to the bait release. I've tried the ones with the longer leg and the standard ones. The both unclip occasionally during flight - but I keep reeling the back in still clipped up.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
No I'm not. I have been using just a Gemini clip upside down so the snood hangs over, back down to the bait release. I've tried the ones with the longer leg and the standard ones. The both unclip occasionally during flight - but I keep reeling the back in still clipped up.
I use either the Shakespeare Salt bait clips: Shakespeare Salt Bait Clips 20pk Sea fishing tackle | eBay
or the Paul Kerry style clips like these: Tronix Bait Clip - £0.90 - A great range of Tronix Bait Clip from Fishing Mayhem - Cornwall
When using the Paul Kerry style clips, I snip off the 'leg' of the clip that's usually trapped beneath a rubber sleeve, so that the rig body slides through the hole to leave the clip free flowing. I trap this between beads and two rows of inverted silicone stops, keeping it under tension with an SRT spring (I'll try to attach a pic to explain more clearly). Works every time.

Oh, and I use splash downs (preferred) or the impact shields designed for ground casting. They don't come unclipped during the cast

1 - 8 of 8 Posts