World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tying some rigs for bream fishing (Wessex rigs) and some portland rigs for fishing soft baits on the drift.

Looking around I have seen a few rig guides and they seem to be recommending 50lb rig bodies.
I can't remember using rig bodies this thick previously.

One other thing, the leader after 30lb braid I seem to remember using 25lb line (could be wrong), if so, what would be the point in using 50lb rig bodies?

G

·
Just tying some rigs for bream fishing (Wessex rigs) and some portland rigs for fishing soft baits on the drift.

Looking around I have seen a few rig guides and they seem to be recommending 50lb rig bodies.
I can't remember using rig bodies this thick previously.

One other thing, the leader after 30lb braid I seem to remember using 25lb line (could be wrong), if so, what would be the point in using 50lb rig bodies?

Your rig body, being on the bottom will suffer from abrasion (sand, rocks, etc), hence it is usual to use 50lb or greater ...........when boat fishing it is not unusual to use a lighter short 'rotten bottom' on lead (only when downtide fishing). Another method of early lead release is to use something simple like a paper clip as the lead link.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I use a 50lb leader to 30lb braid for both ground and wreck fishing. I make most of my Portland rigs from 50lb as these are usually right in the wreck or rocks.
The trace is 25lb amnesia for use with redgills, and rotten link to the lead (rubber band, paper clip, 10lb line, wire tie) in the rough stuff. When making Portland rigs I put a small piece of silicone tubing over the knots to stop anything catching on the tag ends.

For Wessex rigs I mostly use 50lb for the body and vary the hook length bs, hook size according the target - light for bream but heavier for whiting as rays and conger are around this time of year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A lot of people use 50lb rig body to reduce tangle potential but recently I have found 30/35lb Flourocarbon better still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts