World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started fishing I'm astonished at the difference in terminal tackle quality now compared to when I first started sea fishing with my Dad 30 years ago.
Back then it was just a simple paternoster rig with a snood tied directly from the mainline with a simple snaplink on the bottom and a swivel on the hooklength (if I was feeling flash)!
Nowdays the wealth of rigbits and jangly stuff we can add to our terminal rigs is amazing and it was only a year or two ago that I started buying pre made rigs off the shelf and at that point my fishing changed entirely, 3 hook clipped down scratching rigs are now simple and effective bits of kit and make casting baits a long way and retrieving without too many tangles easy, even a numpty like me can do it!
So, this week I took myself off to the local tackle shop and bought a plethora of beads, swivels and jangly contraptions with a mind to tie a few of my own rigs and in particular one which I've had in my mind for a few weeks and I'm eager to try in the beach this weekend, I'm curious what people will make of it and would appreciate some feedback:
Basically, starting from top to bottom:

Gemini clip
50 lb mono holding first snood which is 8 inches long 30lb mono terminating in a 7/0 and 2/0 livebait rig combo.
This is clipped and sprung onto the top of a cascade swivel holding a 5 ft 30 lb mono trace which terminates with 2 x 7/0 pennel for big baits.
This is clipped down to the weight which is held with another gemini clip.

Essentially it's a 2 snood clipped down rig with the top snood a short livebait rig and the bottom a long flowing trace for a big bait.

This rig has come about because I can't decide whether to fish a livebait rig or a big bait so this rig fishes both methods!
I will be christening the rig on Friday night at Hythe, just need a catchy name for it. In the meantime I'd love to hear your thoughts!

G

·
When I first started fishing I'm astonished at the difference in terminal tackle quality now compared to when I first started sea fishing with my Dad 30 years ago.
Back then it was just a simple paternoster rig with a snood tied directly from the mainline with a simple snaplink on the bottom and a swivel on the hooklength (if I was feeling flash)!
Nowdays the wealth of rigbits and jangly stuff we can add to our terminal rigs is amazing and it was only a year or two ago that I started buying pre made rigs off the shelf and at that point my fishing changed entirely, 3 hook clipped down scratching rigs are now simple and effective bits of kit and make casting baits a long way and retrieving without too many tangles easy, even a numpty like me can do it!
So, this week I took myself off to the local tackle shop and bought a plethora of beads, swivels and jangly contraptions with a mind to tie a few of my own rigs and in particular one which I've had in my mind for a few weeks and I'm eager to try in the beach this weekend, I'm curious what people will make of it and would appreciate some feedback:
Basically, starting from top to bottom:

Gemini clip
50 lb mono holding first snood which is 8 inches long 30lb mono terminating in a 7/0 and 2/0 livebait rig combo.
This is clipped and sprung onto the top of a cascade swivel holding a 5 ft 30 lb mono trace which terminates with 2 x 7/0 pennel for big baits.
This is clipped down to the weight which is held with another gemini clip.

Essentially it's a 2 snood clipped down rig with the top snood a short livebait rig and the bottom a long flowing trace for a big bait.

This rig has come about because I can't decide whether to fish a livebait rig or a big bait so this rig fishes both methods!
I will be christening the rig on Friday night at Hythe, just need a catchy name for it. In the meantime I'd love to hear your thoughts!
interesting to see how it works,
as for the name of it ,if it works its got to be a shorething

·
Registered
319 Posts
interesting to see how it works,
as for the name of it ,if it works its got to be a shorething
Cannot argue with that name - "The Shorething Rig"

·
Registered
PB BASS 75CM
8,062 Posts
Gemini clip
!
firstly change the 50ib mono to 80ib
secondly 8'' live bait rig will that work?

if im using a 2 hook clipped rig i like to tie them so the 2 hooks will never tangle up between them
go back to the old days keep it SIMPLE

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
min 80lb rig body ...as if your using big baits you will need a big weight otherwise it wont go anywhere ...and you will have 8oz of lead and another 4-8oz of bait so as you see 80lb is the min

hooklength ...for cod i use 80-100lb that way you dont have to worry about a bit of damage off teeth etc and it wont break on a good fish in the undertow

length for livebait at 8'' is too short !! you wanna lenthen it by at least a foot (i prefer a lot longer)

the idea of the rig is a good one and will be interesting to see how it works

let us know how you get on

cheers
jay

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
min 80lb rig body ...as if your using big baits you will need a big weight otherwise it wont go anywhere ...and you will have 8oz of lead and another 4-8oz of bait so as you see 80lb is the min

hooklength ...for cod i use 80-100lb that way you dont have to worry about a bit of damage off teeth etc and it wont break on a good fish in the undertow

length for livebait at 8'' is too short !! you wanna lenthen it by at least a foot (i prefer a lot longer)

the idea of the rig is a good one and will be interesting to see how it works

let us know how you get on

cheers
jay
Have to agree with above mate. I personally use a min of 60lb hook length for most of my fishing, especially codding, and anything to do with livebaiting imho needs two things -

1. a decent thickness of hook snood to avoid abrasion from the cods teeth and tangling from the whiting.
2. a decent length so the cod can suck the bait well down - essential for the hook to have a chance of getting a good hold

The way I see it, the whiting is hooked and struggling. A light snood will quickly tangle and make the whiting less attractive - may also end up killing said whithing through lack of movement. On a thicker snood, the whiting is still ok - the cod comes along, opens its mouth and flares its gills, and the whiting is sucked into the vacuum. As it moves off, the short snood pulls the whiting out of the cods mouth before the cod has a chance to swallow it...

The longer snood - 3ft plus means the whiting is swallowed and the top hook has a good chance of catching hold when the cod moves off once coming up sharp against the lead which is well anchored - grapnels better here than breakouts by the way.

Mart.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
as has been said allready, 30Lb mono, once its kinked and twisted it will be bye bye coddie once it gets caught in the back wash and under tow of the surf line :(

Also, working on the principle of I like to try and gut hook my cod, with an 8" snood, it would have to swallow the whole rig to do that!!

Dont forget that with a 50Lb trace line, it will limit you to 5ozs of lead.

I used to use a simmila rig, a wish bone at the bottom with size 4s for sole and a big hook on the top for a bass. It didnt work, just tangles, due to the lengths of snood needed to make each bit work properly.

Much better to fish 2 rods with a dedicated rig for the job on each one respectivaly.

A good theory and i hope it will work for you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent feedback! Brilliant.
So, in summary it's clear I need to strengthen the whole rig and also make both hooklengths longer. I could go in a bit with the larger bait rig on the bottom and lengthen the livebait rig on top, 3ft each I gues?. it's a compromise a bit on the hooklengths but I think that could work.

Will re- tie now (Already done 3 rigs, doh) My shockleader also needs an upgrade as well when you consider the weight needed to hold bottom with a whiting and a big bait in tow.
If you consider I want that livebait to be holding bottom and not just be washed to shore in the strong tide this could be a problematic rig to fish...

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Here's something to make You think, not taking any sides, its just a statement I know to be true.
The great Les Moncrief who lived at Hythe and fished Dungy in its hayday used snoods of just a few inch's in length whilst cod fishing at the 'dustbin'.
There was no baitclips, breakaways or co-polymer line at that time .The short snoods helped keep the trace semi aerodynamic. As is written in folklore , Les caught many large cod by this method, so short snoods are nowt new , nor should they be sniffed at !

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
i remember a codding session back home and we were have cod bites non stop with hardly a hookup in the end we were down to hook lengths of less than 6 inches tied directly to the breakaway and we were then hitting every fish!!!!....but that was the exception not the norm and that was straight worm not a livebait....but everything will work on its day

·
Registered
886 Posts
Going back some 30 odd years my Father and his m8's used very simple rigs.
They would tie two loop knots into their shock leaders and attach two rigs via loop to loops.
No swivels etc.
The hooklength was no more than 12-15"s if memory serves me right.
Both rigs tied up for livebaits.
I know there was possibly more fish around then but one night they had handfuls of fish to over 33lb from the diamond.
He is unable to fish now due to bad health but i know that if he was to come out then this would still be his chosen method.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Here's something to make You think, not taking any sides, its just a statement I know to be true.
The great Les Moncrief who lived at Hythe and fished Dungy in its hayday used snoods of just a few inch's in length whilst cod fishing at the 'dustbin'.
There was no baitclips, breakaways or co-polymer line at that time .The short snoods helped keep the trace semi aerodynamic. As is written in folklore , Les caught many large cod by this method, so short snoods are nowt new , nor should they be sniffed at !
Hi Mick,
Hope you're well? Certanly some things to think about, and I remember reading somewhere that TC uses shortish snoods when codding and no-one can doubt his credentials. I would say that there were a lot more cod about in days gone by - certanly back in the Les M days. He was commanding an area all by himself a lot of the time and with the numerous fish about, there would have been a lot of competition about for the hookbaits. I still believe with the relatively modest cod numbers around inshore these days, you are safer using longer hooklengths, but there is no doubt that experimenting with presentation using different length snoods etc can induce bites - it still amazes me how suttle changes in presentation in freshwater fishing can be the difference between a blank and a red letter day, and I'm sure sea anglers still have a lot to learn in this department.

Mart.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
As Mick said, short snoods do have their place, as do light snoods, but, and its a big but, talking to a lot of senior cod anglers of whom im fortunate to be able to call friends, they all say that the cod do not feed like they used to when the were lots more fish competing for the hook bait. They say the cod seem to take their time and mouth the bait as opposed to wolfing down anything they find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Much better to fish 2 rods with a dedicated rig for the job on each one respectivaly.
I'm planning on having a go soon and not having done any for a while I'm a bit rusty on the rig front but this would be my way of thinking too.

Could you (or anybody) please explain what rigs you would use on a two rod set up, one rod for a large bait such as cuttle or squid/worm and the other for live bait. Thanks.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
I'm planning on having a go soon and not having done any for a while I'm a bit rusty on the rig front but this would be my way of thinking too.

Could you (or anybody) please explain what rigs you would use on a two rod set up, one rod for a large bait such as cuttle or squid/worm and the other for live bait. Thanks.
If you do a search in the tackle and equipment forum (try typing in 'pennel rigs or livebait rigs), there are step by step photo guides there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.