World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing from one of the hire boats at Beer on Saturday,would love to catch some Bream. Best rig? (and bait)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fishing from one of the hire boats at Beer on Saturday,would love to catch some Bream. Best rig? (and bait)
I`ve never fished them off a boat before but i`ve been banging them out off the shingle lately,my rig 60lb mainline (5 oz weight) 5ft long,three snoods, one high,one 6" off the weight and one in the middle,8" snoods 15lb and size 2 chinu hooks from Veals,my baits were small sandeels cut in two with a twist of cotton to take them up the hook and strips of squid no more than half an inch wide,as previously said this is my beach method and it works.Have a good one...Alan

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I`ve never fished them off a boat before but i`ve been banging them out off the shingle lately,my rig 60lb mainline (5 oz weight) 5ft long,three snoods, one high,one 6" off the weight and one in the middle,8" snoods 15lb and size 2 chinu hooks from Veals,my baits were small sandeels cut in two with a twist of cotton to take them up the hook and strips of squid no more than half an inch wide,as previously said this is my beach method and it works.Have a good one...Alan

I was thinking about a 2 hook rig, I seem to be either side of your hook size, I have size 1 Sakuma Chinu hooks, or Mustad Demon circle size 4, may make a few rigs of each size and see how it goes, will try 3 hooks :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was thinking about a 2 hook rig, I seem to be either side of your hook size, I have size 1 Sakuma Chinu hooks, or Mustad Demon circle size 4, may make a few rigs of each size and see how it goes, will try 3 hooks :)
I don`t think you`ll be casting too far on a boat so 5ft and three snoods should be ok,also4`s will be ok,those Chinu are evil little buggers i haven`t lost many fish since i`ve been using them (about 10 years now) and i often use two snoods when i`m looking for distance but closer in three is my normal.I make a note on my phone what hook catches and adjust the rig up and down to suit,my swivels are trapped with power gum next to the beads so to make life a bit easier.If there`s a lot of weed i sometimes cut 1 or even 2 snoods out and replace them when i get home for the next session...Alan

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Id use a 3 hook paternoster with short snoods around 10 inches and hooks size 4 to size 1 though I have caught Bream on 6/0 fishing for Huss. snoods want to be about 20-25 lbs

·
Registered
19 Posts
A 2 up paternoster rig is all you need, use long snoods 18 to 20 inches of clear flourocarbon around 20lb breaking strain. First snood attached to the main rig body 3 inches above the lead and the second snood about 30 inches above it. Bream have small mouths so small hooks, size 4s or 6s in kamasan b940 or gamakatsu f31. Chinus are a bit overkill and you will never bend one out of a snag. Best baits are squid or mackerel strip but keep them small, 1 to two inches long and streamlined so they dont spin. Make sure the hook point is exposed or you will loose fish. Use the lightest weight you can get away with so that you can bounce it down the tide until you get a rattle. When you get a rattle lower the rod tip down towards the fish for a couple of feet then lift into the fish. Dont strike as soon as you feel a bite or you will miss loads. Lastly use a light rod with a soft tip and you will get far more enjoyment catching them and lose less fish.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 2 up paternoster rig is all you need, use long snoods 18 to 20 inches of clear flourocarbon around 20lb breaking strain. First snood attached to the main rig body 3 inches above the lead and the second snood about 30 inches above it. Bream have small mouths so small hooks, size 4s or 6s in kamasan b940 or gamakatsu f31. Chinus are a bit overkill and you will never bend one out of a snag. Best baits are squid or mackerel strip but keep them small, 1 to two inches long and streamlined so they dont spin. Make sure the hook point is exposed or you will loose fish. Use the lightest weight you can get away with so that you can bounce it down the tide until you get a rattle. When you get a rattle lower the rod tip down towards the fish for a couple of feet then lift into the fish. Dont strike as soon as you feel a bite or you will miss loads. Lastly use a light rod with a soft tip and you will get far more enjoyment catching them and lose less fish.

I got one, on a size 1 circle hook with a squid head on, I read somewhere that this sometimes gets the better fish
First one for me, on my spinning Rod,what a cracking bite it gave, 27 cm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts