World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking a bit of advice, what is the best rig to catch rays from the shore? I currently use a pulley rig but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

thanx :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Rubber.
There is some good advice on the left side of the home page. Click on fish species then there are a couple of articles on rays.
Rigs depend on when and where but I have used the up and over pennel with a long snood ,at least 4 ft, as I like to keep the bait a distance from the rig body when ray fishing.
Hope this helps bud.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I use a simple 2-hook paternoster baited with sandeel to size 1 Viking hooks (strong) on 18" of 20lb clear Amnesia.

Sounds very light but the ray venues up here are in shallow clear water with other surf species about at times. This rig does for the rays (never lost one) and the rest. Strong hooks and regular snood-checking both essential.

Species up here is small-eyed up to about 10lb, mostly 4-7lb. Good sport on a light beachcaster.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys will try a combo of the rigs suggested

:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, match ur rig to the ground ur fishing, as above. I use at least 40lb snoods to combat the rays crushing pads and rough skin. Plus ur bound to pick up a few doggies ray fishing (well i do), and they'll trash a light rig in no time. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts