World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making a few rigs up this week for the cod:nerd:

Are crimps still the best for locking swivels?

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Making a few rigs up this week for the cod:nerd:

Are crimps still the best for locking swivels?
Used to be a crimp man until I started using the neoprene tubing from Gemini. Four stops below the swivel, one above and it is solid as a rock but can still be easily adjusted. Even though you use four it is still quicker and easier than crimps and unlike knots or crimps there is very little reduction in line strength which for a pendulum caster like me is a very important consideration.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Used to be a crimp man until I started using the neoprene tubing from Gemini. Four stops below the swivel, one above and it is solid as a rock but can still be easily adjusted. Even though you use four it is still quicker and easier than crimps and unlike knots or crimps there is very little reduction in line strength which for a pendulum caster like me is a very important consideration.
Also means you dont have to get yr hook snoods MM perfect in length :thumbs:

·
Registered
212 Posts
i used to make my own from telephone wire wrapped around a panel pin you can twist them on as tight or slack as you want fishing a 1 hook clipped with just enough twist on thew wire to hold place it will slip to the bottom acting like a pulley rig

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Still use 14lbs Powergum [ £2.95p for 10metres spool ].
Comes in red or clear. I tie a three turn grinner knot where ever i would use a crimp . Easy to adjust and does not crinkle the line like i found with neoprene . Two above and two below the snood swivel either side of the bead is ideal and you can slide the snood swivel up or down the rig body to suit , until your hooks sit nicely inside the bait clip and then lock them off by butting them up close together . I like using an SRT spring on my rig bodies just below the swivels also to keep the tension on .
:fish::fish::fishing:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
A figure 8 knot won't slip with a bead
have to agree there, made a few simple paternosters up lately trying to use minimal components, and a figure 8 knot in place of a crimp works a treat, dont know if it would put up with power casting though, but if tied in 80lb+ cant see why not.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
have a look at the adjustable crimps from breakaway they have the rubber insert to protect the line. Been using them on all my clipped rigs for a couple of years never let me down :punk::punk:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i just use three stop knots either side of swivel i find 12lb mono best and do about 7 turns wth each stop knot no prob at all wrks great and cheap as chips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts