World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how meticulous people are with there rigs and bait presentation. over the last few week's I've seen anglers on the beach with rigs and baits that I would never feel confident in fishing. is it just me or are others very particular with their rig and bait presentation

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'm being more picky. Using elastic more than I used to. Get much better bites when the baits a lovely sausage shape.

Reactions: Brand

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I'm being more picky. Using elastic more than I used to. Get much better bites when the baits a lovely sausage shape.
Ive been trained by Andrew ...great rigs there m8 ...i still tie them wrong ..ha

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I'm not that particular. To be honest. Don't think a fish is going to pass it by thinking. Hummm 0 presentation. I will look for a better one further up the deeps. Ha

·
Registered
364 Posts
Being a lazy bugger, I buy all my rigs ready done. Except for on the boat, but they're usually just basic running ledgers. But bait is another story, I always buy the best and freshest I can. As for bait elastic, I wouldn't be without it as it help keep the bait clear of the hook point

·
Registered
803 Posts
So far a basic two hook clipped down rig with 1/0 khale hooks are doing the best for me. As was stated fish won't miss a tasty morsel as they swim by and most of the time they are probably working with scent and lateral line senses thanks to the dirty water.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Make all my rigs myself and presentation is everything because if your bait is not where it’s ment to be your seriously decreasing your chances.No rusty hooks and kinked up rigbody and snoods here if I hooked a tidy fish and something gives way I’d be really kicking myself so not worth it .A lot of people will spend thousands on rods and reels and then use the cheapest hooks and line/rig body they can find this puzzles me .Yes for my rough grounding I’ll use the most simple of pulley set ups but still all quality components and quality hooks which I have full confidence in.

·
Registered
422 Posts
just wondering how meticulous people are with there rigs and bait presentation. over the last few week's I've seen anglers on the beach with rigs and baits that I would never feel confident in fishing. is it just me or are others very particular with their rig and bait presentation
I'll admit im a bit rusty when it comes to rig tying,If my trace comes back like a snakes wedding cast after cast it goes to one side and I change it. Ive fished with other wsf members and learnt a lot about rigs/bait/presentation, simply by being out fished.
I cant dissagree that all fish are opportunists however, if the trace fails or your best kept bait doesn't survive the cast to fish properly then you're immediately at a disadvantage.
Great post!

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
I make all my rigs too mainly because i not fussed of shop ones .
Dont like christmas tree rigs ..crimps, beads springy things so keep it simple .My scratchers are 50lb with clip swivel on top and lead clip on bottom, do it like this so at times i can just fish unhooked without scrambling up rocks to bag/re bait etc. Short hook lengths to this main body with circle hooks from no 10s to 1/0 and this tied to the body with a stop knot.If i dont pull as tight as i can i can slide them up and down rig as req d. Sometimes my hook size go down to no 8s
Rays ..a bolt rig i learnt off Andrew ..brill,Smoothie is a simple i hook fixed rig with big dogs 3/0 .
Eel ..simple sliding leadger with paper clip to attatch lead or whatever .150/200 lb hook length to bronzed oshornissy 7/0.This hook will handle anything i think ,never had one straighten out and will rust out if cut off but i try to hook eels in early in the bite ....

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
I think you've seen plenty of my bait ups ( posted here ) over the years. Yes I am very particular.
As for rigs... much the same. Rig bodies measured, hook lengths all the same but in varying lengths. Any damages replaced with identical replacement.
I learnt a long time ago, that if you look after your kit it looks after you and doesn't let you down

I think they call it ........ OCD on steroids

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have changed over to long and low rigs over pulleys in the last few weeks as I have a fair few pulley rigs come back in tangled, since the swop I have been tangle free.
hi nash out of curiosity did you use swivels on your weight clips ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I enjoy making my own rigs, and feel this is part of the challenge of fishing, trying to get the best presentation of the bait to the target fish. A few tweeks to a rig can make all the difference to bait presentation.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
hi nash out of curiosity did you use swivels on your weight clips ?
Hi Andrew

I don't use swivels on weight clips normally but I have been on the long and low rig as I use a gemini pulley swivel where I clip the weight so it is also a running ledger.

Do you think I should use a swivel on all lead clips then ?

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Andrew

I don't use swivels on weight clips normally but I have been on the long and low rig as I use a gemini pulley swivel where I clip the weight so it is also a running ledger.

Do you think I should use a swivel on all lead clips then ?
yes I use swivels on the lead links it stops the rig from twisting

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had a bit of success on the beach recently and found all the better fish have fallen to 1 particular rig and bait other rigs and bait just seem to be picking up the dogs

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
I noticed on a recent trip to Porthcawl breakwater a novice of a couple of weeks out fishing me on Rays and his rig was a hard bottom rig keeping the bait right on the floor, because of that I have tied up quite a few long and low rigs for the ebbing tides as the rip seems stronger on that tide state.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I noticed on a recent trip to Porthcawl breakwater a novice of a couple of weeks out fishing me on Rays and his rig was a hard bottom rig keeping the bait right on the floor, because of that I have tied up quite a few long and low rigs for the ebbing tides as the rip seems stronger on that tide state.
An added extra is to add a couple of ball leads 1/4-1oz on the line near to the bait as it helps pin it down, can make casting a little awkward but then again the system is not designed for power casts.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Love to use bait what fish i believe would be feeding on, ie rough ground crab, muddy estuaries worm, sand banks sand eels, ect. i like to experiment with rigs, and believe presentation means a lot. Not happy using elasticated cotton but sometimes i have to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts