World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some advice here on the above.
I rigged up some J hooks and circles, both 8/0, crimped onto 250 mono with silicone tubing over to protect hands. We caught doggies (thankfully just a couple), Huss, smooth hounds, tope and thornback ray. The dogs, Huss, tbr were hooked and unhooked no problems (apart from a ray I let bite too long) on both circle and J.
We did have some screaming takes on hermit crab using J hooks but only contacted with one, no screaming takes on the circles unfortunately so we can't make comparisons there. For some reason I had more TBR than the two others and I fished exclusively with circles, they mainly used J hooks.
Overall we were happy with everything as we did well in the two day competition apart from not connecting with the couple of screamers but that may have been the point being masked by the claws of the hermit.

Hope it is helpful to someone else and I hope to do an update update after next year's competition.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got some advice here on the above.
I rigged up some J hooks and circles, both 8/0, crimped onto 250 mono with silicone tubing over to protect hands. We caught doggies (thankfully just a couple), Huss, smooth hounds, tope and thornback ray. The dogs, Huss, tbr were hooked and unhooked no problems (apart from a ray I let bite too long) on both circle and J.
We did have some screaming takes on hermit crab using J hooks but only contacted with one, no screaming takes on the circles unfortunately so we can't make comparisons there. For some reason I had more TBR than the two others and I fished exclusively with circles, they mainly used J hooks.
Overall we were happy with everything as we did well in the two day competition apart from not connecting with the couple of screamers but that may have been the point being masked by the claws of the hermit.

Hope it is helpful to someone else and I hope to do an update update after next year's competition.
I like the circle hook for hounds during the summer, find it a better hook up & crushed barb makes for an easier hook retrieval(y)

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I found that by threading the line from the inside of the hook, the hook turns inwards and greatly improves instant hookup rates as a fish swims away with a bait. Also very effective on sharks, marlin and tuna, simply good clean corner of the mouth hooking making release easy.

8/0 with 250lb mono is pretty big, what were you targeting ?

Wood Body jewelry Natural material Jewellery Wire
Body jewelry Wood Jewellery Font Circle

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tope mainly in the Mull of Galloway, it was based on length/width of the various species, tope, Huss, hounds, TBR and as a flier mackerel, I think we were 15th or thereabouts out of 50+ boats. Hardest part was wrestling with a Huss to get it measured!
I tried your method with the hook curling inward but couldn't do it with the tope trace as the eye was too small, no problems with the smaller species.
Textile Road surface Floor Flooring Thigh

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Tope mainly in the Mull of Galloway, it was based on length/width of the various species, tope, Huss, hounds, TBR and as a flier mackerel, I think we were 15th or thereabouts out of 50+ boats. Hardest part was wrestling with a Huss to get it measured!
I tried your method with the hook curling inward but couldn't do it with the tope trace as the eye was too small, no problems with the smaller species.
View attachment 1376973

Im sure the eye would be small with 250lb!!!!

Here's another way of rigging I use on some of my beach rigs. The light gauge hooks are good in that I can wrap the trace around my hand and straighten the hook if fish or rays are to big to remove from the water.

My wire is 90lb and the mono 117lb, which will handle most sharks and rays without any issue. It was hard to make this video as Im not holding the line as I would normally.

No weak spot from over tightened crimps or crimps not tight enough or even crimps corroding, just a simple knot that pinches tighter the harder you pull. In the loop where my mono comes back out of the wire loop I bring the mono out the opposite side to where it went in the loop. No need for pre-making lots of rigs as these can be tied on the beach or in the boat in just a few seconds. Every crimp, swivel and join in any rig is a place of possible failure, something that many people don't find until they are trace handling something heavier than themselves, which might be why people tend to over compensate by using heavier rigs.

As for getting those Huss straight, imagine trying that with these pesky woebegone A couple of hours on the beach from our last beach trip!!!!....using the same rigs as shown in this video.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found that by threading the line from the inside of the hook, the hook turns inwards and greatly improves instant hookup rates as a fish swims away with a bait. Also very effective on sharks, marlin and tuna, simply good clean corner of the mouth hooking making release easy.

View attachment 1376936 View attachment 1376937
what are the zip ties used for ??

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
what are the zip ties used for ??

I wondered if anyone would ask!!!!! I used to use a rubber band to rig live bait but this way by placing another zip tie (tie number 3) through the baits eye socket then through the second zip tie loop the hook stays straight inline when slowly trolling the baits. I still use rubber bands and waxed cotton for rigging some baits but find this so quick and easy rather than search for baiting needles etc. All comes down to speed when I want to get a live bait out quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts