World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

who buys their rigs etc already made off ebay etc.
Is it worth it?

recommend anyone?

OR whats a good mail order/internet place to get all the bits, now this will sound really silly but i have no idea how the swivel numbers relate to the sizes( i know 18 is really small and 3/0 is big) eg what size should i get for normal beach and light rock fishing???

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Ebay Rigs can be good if you are not sure how to make them. Buy some, and then copy them to make your own. Buying rigs off Ebay can be reasonably cost effective, but remember, the cheaper the price, the less chance there is of quality components.

Some say they are made using quality hooks, amnesia line, branded swivels etc - but often are not.

If you buy your rigs, come time, you will find that you don't like the bait clips, or that the sinker connector is fiddley, or maybe the pennel rig uses cheap silicone tube to fix the pennel hook etc. On some,the snoods will be shorter than you want etc etc.

I make my own, because I like gemini link clips, or want to chose my own bead colours or I want different snood lengths or breaking strain of snood. I get exactly the hook size I want, I use amnesia all the time for snoods as it really is very good - you see where I am going with this.

Definately buy a mixed selection of patterns if you want, and copy them using your preferred components. There are some very reliable sellers on Ebay. I use Ebay a lot, as I like to buy components in larger quantities than a local tackle shop usually supplies. I buy everything I need off Ebay, and have not been let down.

On your other point, I use size 4 swivels on the load bearing part of my rigs, and size 8 for snoods. I use size 8 when I am making a spinning trace. These are the only two sizes I use. (Things start getting fiddly for my big hands if I go too small).

As far as mail order firms go, certain things have to be bought with them, as I can't get the things I need locally. I have used Gerry's of Morcambe. Veals of Bristol and Jims mail order in Redruth Cornwall. All have internet sites and all have given me excellent service.

With mail order though - I have learnt to always place my order by phone. This is as I have used their internet ordering service and found upon the arrival of my goods that some items were out of stock. I would rather know at the time of ordering what is or ins't there, so I can substitute accordingly. I hate receiving only part orders, and having to pay postage again elsewhere.

Cheers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thankyou very very much for the detailed reply, its been a while since i did any sea fishing so have lost touch with a lot of things, hence all my questions recently!!

jims is not far from my parents home so will have a look there and also the others u have suggested.

one more Q - the crimps i see on traces, do u have to use special pliers for these or can u use normal electrical crimp pliers?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Crimps make a nice neat trace.

You do need to be careful though, you can use any set of crimping pliers that fit the crimps. However, you must size the line, crimp and pliers correctly, and make sure that you use just enough force to secure the crimp - but not weaken the line.

If you are using 60lb mono as your main trace for your sinker - but you then crimp in several places - then you do not want to weaken the 60lb mono. Casting with a lot of force puts a lot of strain on that section, and as you can imagine - you do not want a 6 oz grip lead cracking off because you have fixed the crimp too tightly.

Use trial and error. I don't always use crimps (as I use a lot of pulley rigs), but when I do, I put enough force on the crimp so that I can still slide the crimp up or down the trace - but only just. This way I am fairly sure that the line has not been weakened too much - but still keeps the crimp in place - and also this helps with getting the perfect space out for a bait clip. (I don't use bait clips much, as I usually only cast short distances where I fish.

·
Registered
423 Posts
when you first start fishing it is easier to buy your rigs but then after you have been shown how to make them it is alot better because:
a - cheaper
b - you can make what ever sort of rig you what
c - you can make them as long as you want

i have been making my own rigs since the new year.

beefcake

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have had a search but nothing jumped out at me so.. is there somewhere online shat shows the different rigs? also can someone explain a pulley pennel to me? i know what it looks like and that it is meant for rough ground, but can really see how well it would work for rough ground ?

EDIT: ok found the gemini site with some rigs !

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep i saw it a little while ago DOH! :eek: just what i was looking for, helped me a lot.

one more Q for today LOL - have people found if it makes any difference what colour hook length u use? ie is clear better?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting question, this one...

Personally, I'd rather not take the risk of it making a difference, so I stick with clear Amnesia at all times... just adds to my peace of mind. LOL.

I would expect that under normal circumstances in UK waters, it wouldn't make much difference, after all, I'm sure the fish hunt 90-95% by scent when you're fishing a ledgered bait.

Anything that might give you a slight edge, however, why not?

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For most fish I can't really see line colour making any difference for the simple fact that they just aren't intelligent enough to stop themselves and think "hold on a minute this looks a bit suss" :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
The pulley is not just for rough ground. It is primarily a rig that keeps the lead above the fish on the retrieve.
This rig is excellent for fish such as rays, where the fish can hug the bottom and you don't want the lead getting in the way by going underneath the fish.

The pennel element is for when you are using big baits such as crab and sandeel and need to use 2 hooks for security. Some people like to use 2 hooks of the same size. Personally, I use the pennel hook to retain the bait only. Experiment and find what suits your fishing best.

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts