World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well if i had to choose i would say the good old pulley rig followed by a pennel rig

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hey Rubberfrog

Who's that bloke your perched on.:D

Other than that, I like the simple running ledger, the pulley pennel, and more recently the float rig with sliding stop knot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if your just scratching around a two hooked clipped down with size two hooks,which you can catch most species on,but if your after something bigger then it has to be a pulley rig

·
Registered
22 Posts
My favourite rig is one that is popular for deep drop water which is simple and effective. A size 5 hook tied straight to the line about a foot up from the bomb weight on the end of the line. Once dropped (over dockside) I let the weight sink to the bottom and simply bounce the weight repeatedly off the water bottom. This is a killer with ragworm for wrasse and pollock.
Another favourite is a ledger method using a size 5 hook on the end of the line. About 35cm up is a swivel attached to the main line. Above the swivel is a rubber bead (to protect the swivel) and a ball weight topped with a shot about 10cm above to prevent the weight sliding up the line when descending.
Both rigs are really simple and quite effective. Worth a try.

·
Registered
767 Posts
lewisteh said:
Hey Rubberfrog

Who's that bloke your perched on.:D

Other than that, I like the simple running ledger, the pulley pennel, and more recently the float rig with sliding stop knot.

just some guy that was loitering around, said he was waiting for a bird (no offence ladies). :) :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Check out the Scottish forum redhead. There is some info there.

Do you mean Arbroath way though?

I have been getting pollock last two outings, along with small codling near Aberdeen.:)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
cabbytx1 said:
if your just scratching around a two hooked clipped down with size two hooks,which you can catch most species on,but if your after something bigger then it has to be a pulley rig
I agree with this but if i'm off a pier and fishing light it has to be a running trace with three hooks on droppers. Or if i'm after pollock etc down the side a three hook boom rig.
To a point just about the only rigs you'll need!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
if im scratching about i use either a 3 hook flapper or portsmouth rig.

for skate,bass cod and so on its a pulley pennel i go for first.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i like to use pulley rig for larger fish either single hook size 3/0 or pulley pennell 3/0to 1/0 always use Kamasans strong and sharp and dont seem to rust to quickly.
If fishing for smaller fish i like to use a two hook pompey rig even better when the flatties are around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This might seem a daft question to some of you guys, but what is a pompey rig? and what does it look like?

The reason i started this thread is because the place where i do my shore fishing is a flat sandy beach and when i next go i would like to catch something other than crabs!!!!!

Lee :D :D :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi m8 this rig is the portsmouth dropper or golds rig i use it to some good effect it fishes a hook bellow the lead and one above the hard part is trying to explain how to build it but i will have a goList of components

1*gemini lead link
1*80lb swivel for top of rig
2*45lb swivels
1*cascade swivel
5*micro rig beads
2*crimps
1*gemini srt spring
2* hooks of your own size ect
1*breakaway impact lead.

now the fun bit how to build it should be fun

1.rig body use a minimum of 6olb b/s. THE BODY LENGTH WILL ALL DEPEND ON THE LENGTH OF YOUR HOOK SNOODS.

2. HOOK SNOODS I USE 25LB AMNESIA

3.ON TO YOUR RIG BODY THREAD ON A CRIMP BEAD 45LB SWIVEL BEAD FOLLOWED BY SRT SPRING AND ANOTHER BEAD THIS WILL BE FOR YOUR TOP SNOOD.

4.FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BODY THREAD ON A CRIMP A BEAD A 45LB SWIVEL THEN BEAD TIE ON THE LEAD LINK AND ATTACH YOUR IMPACT LEAD.

5.NOW MEASURE OUT THE LENGTH OF YOUR RIG BODY YOU WANT THEN TIE ON YOUR TOP SWIVEL.

6.FORGOT TO MENTION YOU WILL NEED SOME POWER GUM FOR STOP KNOTS USE A STOP KNOT BELOW THE BEAD THAT HOLDS THE SRT SPRING AND UPPER SWIVEL.

7.CLOSE THE BOTTOM CRIMP SO THAT IT HOLDS THE BOTTOM SWIVEL CLOSE UP TO THE LEAD LINK .

THATS THE RIG BODY BUILT.

8. NOW TIE A 2ft LENGTH OF LINETO THE BOTTOM SWIVEL.

9 TAKE THE CASCADE SWIVEL AND TIE IT TO THE END OF THE LINE YOU HAVE JUST PUT ON TO THE BOTTOM SWIVEL THE HOOK OF THE CASCADE SHOULD BE POINTING DOWN TOWARDS THE LEAD.

10.TO THE BOTTOM OF THE CASCADE SWIVEL TIE ON A 6INCH LENGTH OF LINE.

11. TO THE TOP SWIVEL TIE ON 2FT LENGTH OF LINE.

12. BEFORE TIEING ON HOOKS ADD ANY BEADS STOP KNOTS ECT YOU NEED.

13 TIE ON YOUR CHOSEN HOOKS ALLOWING 6INCH OR SO FOR KNOTS.

14. NOW HOW TOCLIP IT UP PUY YHE LOWER HOOK INTO THE BREAKAWAY LEAD CLIP THEN PUT THE TOP SNOOD HOOK INTO THE CASCADE SWIVEL HOOK THEN PUT EVERYTHING UNDER TENSION BY PUSHING UP THE TOP SNOOD WITH THE SRT SPRING ON IT UNTIL THE SPRING IS ABOUT 3/4 ITS LENGTH THEN NIP UP THE CRIMP .

I HOPE THIS HELPS AND MAKES SOME SORT OF SENCE BUT TIED CORRECTLEY THY WORK WELL FOR MOST SPECIES

BEST OF LUCK

·
Registered
235 Posts
hi there if you want email me your details and what size hooks you wan,t and i will make you one up and post it to you then you can try it out and make your own hope this helps you:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts