World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
i clean all the bait of my hooks and dry the rig with my fishing rag and if the hook is sharp i use it the next time my last rig lasted 5 sessions until someone came over asking questions i stopped reeling in and lost it

thats only in the river though not on rough ground

rough ground i would change ever time

·
Registered
85 Posts
A well built rig will last for ages. I have been using Ian Houlton's rigs for some time and they are getting used time and time again. True, the snoods do need replacing after a while.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Generally bin a rig after 1 session.

Don't want an unseen weakness in the line losing me a fish, or sending a 6Oz weight scudding along a beach. Always suspicious of hooks that have got wet as well, however pristine they still look!

Better spending a couple of extra quid then losing a fish of a lifetime, or even worse knocking someone out with a wayward catapulted lead

·
Registered
550 Posts
Damn Gareth, I wouldnt mind being your rig supplier..

I usually use mine for 4 sessions it all depends on how it looks though, if I can see wear along the main body or on the knots I'll strip the bits off it and make some new ones..

I usually change mine with the seasons though, no point in having 4/0 pulleys if your targeting flounder and dab, like wise after the summer not too much point in having 3 hook flappers with size 4 hooks if your fishing for cod.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
My hooks are binned after every trip, even tho' i use premium types. As Gareth says, why loose a fish over a few pennies worth of hook.
My rigs are binned when i see any nicks or abrasions, normally 2-3 sessions.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They might last but there a rubbish hook mate. The are made of too thicker steel so cant be bent out of a snag over rough ground, plus the eye is to big which can cause damage to baits when baiting up. I much rather prefer to use Mustad blue aberdeens for flatties and general scratching work, the Kamasan B940m for smaller species such as whitting when i expect that a larger fish may be hooked (yes they are strong as i had a 6ld conger on a size 1!). For heavy work it has to be the Sakuma Manta Extra or the Mustad O'Shaugsey. I tie a neew snood onto rigs after every trip or two. I rebuild the rig completely scavenging what i can if it looks in good condition about every five trips out. I never use hooks under a size 3/0 twice as they blunt quickly and are to tricky to sharpen. Generally larger hooks can last abou three or four trips. Remember this is just my opinion though. Safety is a major concern for rig construction though, proper knot such as the four turn grinner and tucked blood knot should be used for all rig construction.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
inspect - decide - inspect - decide etc

alernating between 2 rigs each cast - per rod - allows inspection, changing and rebaiting without downtime

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
They might last but there a rubbish hook mate. The are made of too thicker steel so cant be bent out of a snag over rough ground, plus the eye is to big which can cause damage to baits when baiting up. I much rather prefer to use Mustad blue aberdeens for flatties and general scratching work, the Kamasan B940m for smaller species such as whitting when i expect that a larger fish may be hooked (yes they are strong as i had a 6ld conger on a size 1!). For heavy work it has to be the Sakuma Manta Extra or the Mustad O'Shaugsey. I tie a neew snood onto rigs after every trip or two. I rebuild the rig completely scavenging what i can if it looks in good condition about every five trips out. I never use hooks under a size 3/0 twice as they blunt quickly and are to tricky to sharpen. Generally larger hooks can last abou three or four trips. Remember this is just my opinion though. Safety is a major concern for rig construction though, proper knot such as the four turn grinner and tucked blood knot should be used for all rig construction.
FOR REAL FISH THEIR THE BEST, SPURRY, THORNIE CONGA,

AM IN WEST COAST SCOTLAND MATE, WE DONT FISH FUR FLATTIES, OR DO SCRATCHING WORK,

A ALWAYS LEAVE A TAG OF LINE ON HOOK, AND ALWAYS PUSH BAIT OVER THE EYE AND TIE UP,

BIG BAITS, BIG HOOKS

MA SMALLEST HOOKS A 5/0 , A NEED A HEAVY HOOK THAT WONT LET ME DOWN,
MOST TRACES WIRE, AS MONO GET,S CUT LIKE BUTTER, AND I USE THEM A FEW TIMES, MAYBE HAVING TO CHANGE THE WIRE, BUT NOT THE HOOKS
IS A 1/0 NOT A TROUT HOOK

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Perhaps its time to consider other methods of fishing? You might get more out of your sport???

NO, A CATCH ALWAYS AND THEIR BIG, WE DONT FISH FUR GUPPIES ,

IVE BEEN AT IT FOR OVER 30 YEARS AS WELL IVE PLENTY A METHODS, FRESH AND SALT. LEGAL AND ILLEGAL

BUT IF YOU WANT TO TAKE TIME AND ENLIGHTEN ME MATE.

IL LISTEN, AND TRY YOUR METHODS, "AM ALL EARS"
IAIN:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I fish for whats there, not what might be there! Somethimes there just arent the larger specimens infront of you. Surely its better to land a few smaller specimens then catch nothing at all?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I fish for whats there, not what might be there! Somethimes there just arent the larger specimens infront of you. Surely its better to land a few smaller specimens then catch nothing at all?
hi basic but sorry ive seen tiny pin whiting and the tinyest of dabs cought on 5/0 and 6/0 WIDE MOUTH hooks ,unfortunatley its normally me who gets them

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yes i have caught postage stamp dab on a large cod bait with a pair of 5/0's on aswell. I also fish rockmarks for Cod, Conger, Huss and large Pollock aswell, using man sized tackle such as 10/0 O'Shaugseys on 150ld mono traces, but have used size 6 hooks on 12ld flurocarbon traces for Flounder and Dab. Its horses for corses mate. It doesn't really matter what you prefer to do as its all down to your own personal choice. I'm not going to preach but i personally learn alot more and feel that i can maximise my time fishing by having a more open mided, rounded approach to the way in which i go about my sea angling.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts