World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've just ordered an 11ft 4 piece Conoflex Flattie Fanatic blank which I should receive in a couple of weeks
What rings would anyone recommend for this rod?
Factory finished they would come with Fuji BNLG guides
I've also been looking at Fuji BNHG guides and PacBay minima 4 model T guides
http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/6699/category/263 seem good value and not too bulky would they cope with braid

What reel seat and grip would anyone recommend
Would shrink tubing and an Abu Grip Lok reel seat be ok although I'd have to thicken the handle as they seem to be 25.2 inner diameter

Cheers
Dick

·
Registered
926 Posts
the butt on the flattie fanatic is tapered with a dia of 20mm, as for the do you want a adjustable or fixed reel seat. out of the two guides i would go for the minima 4

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
4 piece - was it a special order? I've recently rebuilt a FF2000 set up for multi with minima 3s in gunmetal with gold inserts, black thread tipped with gold, break away 'saddle clamp' coasters and black shrink tube. The butt was so slim and thin-walled that i put two layers of shrink in the reelseat and lower grip areas, as advised by Conoflex.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was a special order.
I think I will go for the pac bay minima 4 guides
Will a Abu Grip Lok reel seat work on a tapered blank or would I be better off with coasters?
Could I build the blank up to 25mm with layers of cheap black shrink tubing then finish of with cross weave shrink tubing
liphook do you have any pics of your build?
cheers
dick

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
whatever you do don't put BNHGs on it - they are well obsolete! Minima 4's are the way to go, you might even want to put single leg guides on for the top 4 guides, this will keep the weight to an absolute minimum and keep the rod's action nice and crisp, BNHGs weigh almost twice as much as minimas and will slow down your tip recovery. As for the reelseat, Fuji do an adustable trigger real seat in smaller sizes (20 - 22mm I think) similar to the abu check out the reel seats on guidesnblanks.com. Also, if you wish to fit a larger reelseat building it up with shrink wrap will work, but better to use masking tape or cork tape to build it up and glue in place with epoxy. Hope this helps

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Minima 4's it is
I like the idea of single leg guides near the tip
I think I'm going to go for a fixed fuji reel seat and have a short duplon end grip say 8" and then 4" or 5" of duplon either side of the reel seat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hello i had a bass bandit blank used minima 4 , would be criminal putting bulky fuji's on such a slim blank i put 1 long length of shink tube on butt tried building up to put abu griplok on 25.2 with insulation tape looked crap to put bluntly in the end used 2 layers of clear tube reel seat fitted a dream

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Try a look at the new Fuji K series rings. All mine are the polished stainless steel, and they look fabulous, they work well with braid, and can be used with a fixed-spool or multiplier. The larger ones are high standoff, and work along the lines of the Ohmura Cone for fixed spool use, yet are good for multi use. I fitted the low and high single leg rings on tip section, and three leg on the mid and butt. The only Fuji trigger winch is the 22mm, they do the ones used commonly on carp rods in 18 and22mm, usually used the wrong way up on the carp rods!
The ring centres are Alconite, a high grade Aluminium Oxide, they are available in Silicon Carbide, but you might need a second mortgage.
Worth a look!

PTR

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sorry no pics as the rod wasn't mine. I've a factory built 11ft FF and when it's ready for a rebuild its going to be off with the fuji's and on with minima 4s! Double leggers though as I think they stand up to use/abuse better. If its a travel rod that may take some battering (often at the hands the airlines:help:) I'd seriously consider taping the rings on with mylar 'bagging tape' so you can make easy repairs on the hoof. It won't look like an Alba or a David Norwich but will keep you fishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.