World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The idea was for @DJDBazzer (who now lives near) and myself to go to Ringstead Bay for something big. Be that a cod, bass or conger or whatever. He messaged me saying that "there is a 40lb conger there with my name on it". At that point I thought about making my excuses and tell him that I was staying home to wash my hair/polish my head or something. If I was ever to catch such a thing I would rather be in good and experienced company, so I went for it.
For a Sunday, the roads down were clear and quick. I was hoping that I was in the right van as I could not actually see who was driving for the rods that came within a foot of the windscreen. Travelling light - not!
This was my first visit and when the bay came into view for the first time I actually said WOW. The parking, paid to the cafe was cheap, as it was after 4.
We opted for the path rather than the beach. The walk is ok until you have to go down the steps to the beach. The steps are mud held in place by wooden boards and slippy. I also grew a bit (no not in excitement!) by the clay collecting on my boots. This was made worse when we got on the beach as the shingle then stuck to the clay. By the time we got to the chosen spot it had largely walked off. Time from car to beach spot was 15 minutes but felt like much more. The sea was quite flat with waves making over the reefs, the wind was not too bad and it did not rain for the whole session. The closer water was a bit coloured.
Three rods each set up. I had a small hook pop up bream rig on one, a blinged up distance rig on another and whole squid on another. The idea was to cover all the bases till it got dark then change to big baits on two. Bazzer had a similar set up. Bait was squid, bluey, mackerel and for my smaller gear rag tipped with squid.
I had a good bite on the bream rig rod, but nothing there on retrieval. First fish landed was a pout and a good size for bait. Bazzer had that one and set about creating the mummified kitten bait as per the picture on @Lee maunder post "Float fishing at night". While this monster bait was being created the sunset was glorious.

20181015_215504-ANIMATION.gif

The beach was littered with washed up kelp from the recent blow.

20181014_180357.jpg

Portland in the distance.
20181014_182834.jpg

More pout came for both of us with double shots, the bigger ones went back the smaller ones kept.

20181014_192024.jpg

Pout were not what we had travelled there for and we were ever hopeful of a big target.
Bazer was making some very neat big baits now including gar fish sections from one of his recent forays.
IMG-20181015-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20181015-WA0001.jpg

I had an eel that smashed up my tackle so bad that it was lifeless when it was brought in. Snood was cut and the eel released from the now useless distance gear that was swapped for another big bait rig.
Bazzer also had a badly twisted rig and signs of something bigger showing an interest.

20181014_210209.jpg

We both persevered, but it was just not to be. I had a decent bite that did not develop and when retrieved my bait showed sure signs that one of our target fish was there! The pout looks quite surprised! Chomp!
20181014_231422.jpg

Bazzer is like a mountain goat, but I find that my age and recovering dodgy knee make the trip back from these sessions tough. Just got to dig deep and get on with it. We went back via the beach which although not slippy, was tough as ever on the loose shingle. Home by 1:00 am. Perhaps next time we can hit the target. Must have had 10 or so pout and the eel between us, again not what we went for and only just better than a blank. The upsides were that it was good to fish a new venue, it is a smashing place and great spending time with a WSF fishing buddy.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Great report we walked from Osmington Mills to Ringstead with the dog on a lovely sunny Aprils morning earlier this year stunning bit of coastline looks so fishy great place to fish even if they don't play ball.
Pete

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great report we walked from Osmington Mills to Ringstead with the dog on a lovely sunny Aprils morning earlier this year stunning bit of coastline looks so fishy great place to fish even if they don't play ball.
Pete
Thanks Pete. We did see people walking past that did not come back, and hoped they knew where they were going! It just looks so good there and as you say so "fishy" looking.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Very enjoyable trip! I do love it down there.
We will have to try again soon, maybe try a different section or when it's blowing a hooley!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good effort bud
You were mentioned on the night mate, as there were noises behind us that were a cross between the fox scream, a child crying and a sort of whisting down a pipe. Very strange. But when you are with your mate you feel twice as hard and worry less!!! We also had a couple of owls on the go.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You were mentioned on the night mate, as there were noises behind us that were a cross between the fox scream, a child crying and a sort of whisting down a pipe. Very strange. But when you are with your mate you feel twice as hard and worry less!!! We also had a couple of owls on the go.
Fantastic nice of you to think of me !!, Watch Out Watch Out The Horrors About !! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Keith was more scared of my baits haha

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Great report, just a shame for both of you, that you only had pics of Pout and Eels to attach to it. Here's to better fortune on your next visit.

Ironically, a plane I was on earlier today, flew over that area and I was able to get an interesting video of Chesil, Portland and Ringstead bay. I've just spent 10 minutes trying to attach it to this post but can't make it work for some unknown reason?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great report, just a shame for both of you, that you only had pics of Pout and Eels to attach to it. Here's to better fortune on your next visit.

Ironically, a plane I was on earlier today, flew over that area and I was able to get an interesting video of Chesil, Portland and Ringstead bay. I've just spent 10 minutes trying to attach it to this post but can't make it work for some unknown reason?
I think the files are too big, so upload it to Youtube and add a link to your post. I had the same problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts