World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something different today as I fancied a change so I opted for float fishing Maddies targeting Schoolies as a bit of a random choice. Used my 13ft old (only rod left from my youth) glass Mullet rod but changed the spool for 10lb line instead of 6lb, used a very small slim pike float that carries 9g of weight to **** it well down....a relative mooring buoy compared to Mullet floats but about a quarter of the size of a lot of sea floats. Set at 6-7ft with a size 8 medium wire carp hook loaded with 5-6 head hooked Maddies to finish the setup off.

Got to my spot and started fishing about 6.15pm, first trot down no snags so 2nd trot I tried slightly closer to see if I could find the edge of the ledge that I would try to fish along. The float went about 10ft and buried so I struck...fish on! then "oh Fish on", then "oh oh sh1te FISH ON!!!" as the rod slammed round. I could tell it wasn't a Mullet as it was too powerful from the off, Sea Trout entered my head but it took too close to the edge so I was pretty sure it was a Bass. I've had three 4lb Mullet on this rod this year and although this fight was shorter it was far more powerful against a tighter set clutch than I have for Mulleting. 6-7mins later a nice Bass came to the surface and it was at this point I realised I hadn't set the net up and it was still at the top of the bank and I was at the bottom. I could see the Bass was lip hooked but it was in the thick part of the lip so I just went for a beach landing, one smooth sideways pull and it slid out of the water across the weed and it was mine, 49cm and about 3lb :yeah:

I've got a new phone today which was on its first long charge so no bankside photo's but since it came home with me you get a kitchen shot. One of Fishyrobs (literally) Dvices for a bit of size comparison.

The rest of the session went rapidly downhill, by 7pm I couldn't control the float in the wind especially since I'd been forced up the bank by the rising water. Tried ledgering for a couple of casts and caught 2 small Eels which reminded me why I was trying floatfishing in the first place!! then the drizzle came with squally winds and I decided I'd had enough before 8pm. Got loads of Maddies left so I'll have to figure out what to do with those tomorrow :fishing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Wow, cracker of a bass on such light gear Portslade,

I've been planning on fishing one of the Sussex rivers this weekend since ordering my mulleting rod last weekend, rods arrived, I've spooled my reel with 6lb line and now the reports coming in thick, thin, trout and bass.

I'm like a kid at christmas waiting to creep down the stairs and no doubt will be up well before the alarm clock rings :clap2:

The only indecision I have is with the south westerly forecast, should I be chucking everything at one of the reefs instead? :idea:

Great reporting.

Kind Regards
Richard

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard, the fight actually left me shaking for 5mins afterwards and that hasn't happened with a fish for a long time......probably because it was so unexpected as I didn't think I'd get anything over 1.5lb.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks Richard, the fight actually left me shaking for 5mins afterwards and that hasn't happened with a fish for a long time......probably because it was so unexpected as I didn't think I'd get anything over 1.5lb.
Sounds a lot like the hound trip I had with Rob, when I got my double - absolute magic mate.

Good luck with using up the bait supplies tomorrow.

Richard

G

·
Wow, cracker of a bass on such light gear Portslade,

I've been planning on fishing one of the Sussex rivers this weekend since ordering my mulleting rod last weekend, rods arrived, I've spooled my reel with 6lb line and now the reports coming in thick, thin, trout and bass.

I'm like a kid at christmas waiting to creep down the stairs and no doubt will be up well before the alarm clock rings :clap2:

The only indecision I have is with the south westerly forecast, should I be chucking everything at one of the reefs instead? :idea:

Great reporting.

Kind Regards
Richard
hi richard,
forecast for sunday is 5mph n/w winds...lol
ideal for mep spining reds up the ouse for thin lips....have fun whatever
you decide to do mate!

puddle man paul.....

ps,nice fishing PP..

·
Registered
106 Posts
What a fine and unexpected reward. Guess that is what keeps us coming back for more. A generous portion of maddies on the hook – I always find I skimp on the little blighters as I never have enough time to dig sufficient quantity to allow such largess.

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used up a few more Maddies float fishing tight against the harbour wall around HW slack this morning. Lots of missed bites probably due to small schoolies as I caught 5 of them but I eventually managed to find what I was looking for in the shape of a Corkwing Wrasse for the species list. I could do with confirmation though as I realised my Wrasse identification is very rusty!!! Saw a decent sized SSS Scorpion caught by a kid which I was a bit jealous of as that would have been a decent addition to the species list.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts