World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do a lot of river carp fishing in the fens....
one swim i fish alot a catfish has taken up home... having seen this fish 5 or 6 times over the last few weeks.. i was hopeing it would pick up one of my bottom baits.... but not yet.. seen it take young ducks of the surface.. and having it take my spud 4 times now while baiting up...the water is very clear and i have had 2 very clear views of the fish... approx 4ft long may be a bit more...how is the best way to go about catching this fish...

·
The Bush Kangaroo
2,807 Posts
try and get a small carp and use it as live bait if not try large halibut pellets or a tin of spam the whole tin on a hook take it out of the tin first lol
and if u know were it lives try doing this at night as they are more aggresive for feeding then hope u got a good rod and reel as they really go

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers lads will give both ago.... got a good idea where he lives.. big willo tree on far bank...don,t worry about the gear... had carp to 45lb on it.. and they go... and we always take a boat in case we have problems...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
hi mate,

all as said but also popped up worms, offal, dead fish etc etc.

one important thing though mate if you are using fish baits is to use a pike safe hooklink material if there are any pike in the water, which is likely based on where you live.

i use cannelle supatress, which is a fine wire braid that can be knotted, or 60-80lb seagur fluoroocarbon.. both kind to the catfish and safe for the pike.

pike can bite through braid with one bite and hardly, if ever, lasts the fight.

one more tip for you mate... if you do hook it use a big net and get its head right up to the spreader block before you lift.. they have a habit of swimming backwards out of the net if their tail isnt all the way in.

good luck, marc

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Popped up live skimmer bream/large roach Spray maggots around to attract smaller fish. Best chance at night usually.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
one of the best baits is a eel they love them
put a 2/0 cat hook in the middle fish just off bottom popped up or under a big
float that is ankered to the bottom.
squid stuffed with hallibut pellets then inject with pilchard oil.. leave squid out in the sun to get it stinking will fetch the cat to the bag..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts