World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
juan dogee giza and me had been planning this trip for a while, and the plan was for him to pick me up at 6.00 and head for the river crouch to fish for some roker.
well to start with i was awoken at 6.00 am by the sound of an engine running outside the house, [email protected] i thought as i jumped out my pit and ran down the stairs, opening the door and appoligising as you do red faced in the noddy:blink:
well i chucked everything out the house got dressed and put some hot water in my flasks, before realising i hadnt put any pants on:blink: deciding it was gonna be one of them days!
any way glad to say we chuckled about it on the way, after being called a lazy **** a few times. wasn,t long and we was at the mark around dead low water where armed with squid, herring and rag (forgot the cuttle in the rush) we sought our prey. well it was slow for the first few hours but andy showed the way and had the first half decent bite which turned out to be a small codling, he then followed this with a small whiting and then a few mins later he had a classic roker bite which after grounding him a couple of times was landed and weighed at 8lb 3oz , well while we was weighing this fish andy noticed his other rod go and he then proceeded to land another roker that went exactly a pound lighter at 7lb 3oz. :clap3:
well i was chuffed for him (and jealous) but i could not muster a bite! this all happened rather quick and from after those fish being caught we struggled with the weed and holding bottom, never thought i would say this but it was worse than bradwell! the weed just blanketed everything and masked our hook baits, it was also a pig to reel in and took ten minutes to clean off before casting.
it eased at high tide for a bit, but the ebb, well that was a non starter!
so my tally for the day was one codling (small)
a christmas tree! (i really thought this was a big fish!)
and three lost roker from using size 18 fine wire barbless hooks, which for some reason straightened out?

final result a good day for a new top secret mark,
and pleasent company.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Nice one Paul, thanks for the company, the craic and the pics. Im still well chuffed about my first shore caught thornys :) :) :)

Its a shame you didnt get one today but you did nearly land that xmas tree and thats a feat in itself in that tide!! ;)

G

·
Looks like you two had a good day, I had a poxy day, I almost walked off site at 1000, I wish i'd engineered a breakdown, and came fishing with you two, well done fellas

Regards

Ubd

G

·
juan dogee giza and me had been planning this trip for a while, and the plan was for him to pick me up at 6.00 and head for the river crouch to fish for some roker.
well to start with i was awoken at 6.00 am by the sound of an engine running outside the house, [email protected] i thought as i jumped out my pit and ran down the stairs, opening the door and appoligising as you do red faced in the noddy:blink:
well i chucked everything out the house got dressed and put some hot water in my flasks, before realising i hadnt put any pants on:blink: deciding it was gonna be one of them days!
any way glad to say we chuckled about it on the way, after being called a lazy **** a few times. wasn,t long and we was at the mark around dead low water where armed with squid, herring and rag (forgot the cuttle in the rush) we sought our prey. well it was slow for the first few hours but andy showed the way and had the first half decent bite which turned out to be a small codling, he then followed this with a small whiting and then a few mins later he had a classic roker bite which after grounding him a couple of times was landed and weighed at 8lb 3oz , well while we was weighing this fish andy noticed his other rod go and he then proceeded to land another roker that went exactly a pound lighter at 7lb 3oz. :clap3:
well i was chuffed for him (and jealous) but i could not muster a bite! this all happened rather quick and from after those fish being caught we struggled with the weed and holding bottom, never thought i would say this but it was worse than bradwell! the weed just blanketed everything and masked our hook baits, it was also a pig to reel in and took ten minutes to clean off before casting.
it eased at high tide for a bit, but the ebb, well that was a non starter!
so my tally for the day was one codling (small)
a christmas tree! (i really thought this was a big fish!)
and three lost roker from using size 18 fine wire barbless hooks, which for some reason straightened out?

final result a good day for a new top secret mark,
and pleasent company.:)
Sorry I hit the Edit key instead of the Quote key on the original post:uhuh: . Put some more details of the big one, bait etc and a pic on the Specimen thread and I can add it to the list. :clap3:
Nice fish, good result lads:clap3:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Nice fishing there pablo and dodgy geezer. I still have yet to catch myself a good shore roker!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well done guys, nice fish had a bit of a recky down the crouch yesterday evening there are some good looking marks if you dont mind a walk, will let you know if I get anything this weekend.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice fish. I fished the South side yesterday for a couple of hours just past the first bay and then far up by the knuckle (the main bend before you head round to Wallasea - them rocks fish great). I was fishing for Bass (they should be there by now) but not one fish or bass bite. Not in the shallows or the deep hole by the knuckle.

Codling and whiting were the main catch (around 20 on one rod) with one thornback that only weighed just over 2 lb. All caught on big rag worm baits, on a running legder. pennell rig . Biggest Codling weighed 1lb 10oz.

It was very hetic but did not catch what i was after. What is good news is that all the signs so far say South Fambridge (from the first bay to the knucke are going to fish very well this year.

I am local (2 minutes from South Fambridge) and fish there all the time. I know your secret spot so will no doubt bump into you as ill be there a lot from now onwards.

PS. you may already know or not but if you creep onto bamburgers jetty with a string of Herring feathers youll bag up on herring. Keep them in a bucket of water and use them straight away youll be amazed at the difference in catch rate.

See you around and again good fish - well done.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Basildon Mick............where Is This Plaice Where You Caught The Thornies Please ?,i Am Sure We Would All Liketo Know............jed

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice fish. I fished the South side yesterday for a couple of hours just past the first bay and then far up by the knuckle (the main bend before you head round to Wallasea - them rocks fish great). I was fishing for Bass (they should be there by now) but not one fish or bass bite. Not in the shallows or the deep hole by the knuckle.

Codling and whiting were the main catch (around 20 on one rod) with one thornback that only weighed just over 2 lb. All caught on big rag worm baits, on a running legder. pennell rig . Biggest Codling weighed 1lb 10oz.

It was very hetic but did not catch what i was after. What is good news is that all the signs so far say South Fambridge (from the first bay to the knucke are going to fish very well this year.

I am local (2 minutes from South Fambridge) and fish there all the time. I know your secret spot so will no doubt bump into you as ill be there a lot from now onwards.
PS. you may already know or not but if you creep onto bamburgers jetty with a string of Herring feathers youll bag up on herring. Keep them in a bucket of water and use them straight away youll be amazed at the difference in catch rate.

See you around and again good fish - well done.

hi H i was thinking of getting down to fambridge soon for a sesh within the next couple of weeks, i will give you a shout maybe you can show me a few of your fav marks along there.....:)

·
Registered
724 Posts
No worries, fished there yesterday, caught god knows how many whiting, nothing to shout about size wise. Had 2 small bass, biggest about pound and a half. All on rag but until they white slow down its hard for the bass to get a look in. They are on the hook after about 30 seconds of being in the water.

One chap had a roker off the saltings but only about 2lbs. He had that just as the tide started to flood and on herring.

I was fishing about 300 yards in front of the saltings, word has got out about the roker and about ten kids were fishing at the best roker marks and aftey they had finished thrashing the water in surprised even the crabs did wave a white flag!!

Let me know and ill try and meet you there.

H

·
Registered
836 Posts
Pablo

Are you STILL using those frozen Thornbacks from your freezer?

Ill keep looking out for your "Next fishing trip" where you will no doubt be pictured with a bag of cod you caught in January?

Reggae Reggae sauce!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts